for gigabite service ...what is your wifi speed
miltk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

what are you getting for your wifi speeds?

i just had fios/gigabyte internet installed the other day. i am getting 770>880 dowload, even faster on the upload on a hardwired desktop. but my wifi (same room 15' away from the router) , i'm getting 50/45 on the average. it is severely slow. i have tried all manner of connections, 2.4ghz,,,5ghz,,,different devices,,,even tried a dlink router(which btw is faster than the verizon router by about  20%)

verizon tech served me some **bleep** about wifi speeds depending on the building and area location, but i'm not buying. so what are you all getting for your wi fi speeds?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: for gigabite service ...what is your wifi speed
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It could be the devices themselves.

Depending on their age, they may not be up to snuff.

Have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates for them?

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

It really doesn’t matter what anyone here has for WiFi speeds. Verizon and other providers only guarantee direct connections from your device to their router. They don’t support any other routers.

wifi speeds depend on the device it’s self and it’s radio, the distance from the WiFi router, the band you connect at, internal versus external antennas and signal reaching those devices. 

That is why wifi is not supported. I am using an iPad mini which using speedtest net shows the following. I have the gigabyte plan from Fios but I do not use their router.

imageWith Apple iPad mini

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@miltk wrote:

what are you getting for your wifi speeds?

i just had fios/gigabyte internet installed the other day. i am getting 770>880 dowload, even faster on the upload on a hardwired desktop. but my wifi (same room 15' away from the router) , i'm getting 50/45 on the average. it is severely slow. i have tried all manner of connections, 2.4ghz,,,5ghz,,,different devices,,,even tried a dlink router(which btw is faster than the verizon router by about  20%)

verizon tech served me some **bleep** about wifi speeds depending on the building and area location, but i'm not buying. so what are you all getting for your wi fi speeds?

On the G1100 on my Galaxy Note 8 I will typically get around 75 mbps on 2.4ghz ghz and anywhere from 300 to 400 on 5 ghz. 

Remember 2.4 has better range and slower speeds. 5 has better speeds but less range. 

Now I have since used my own router and wireless access point because in my opinion the G1100 doesn't have the greatest range on either band. 

Another note I would like to point out is that one wireless router in most cases is not enough for all the streaming we do these days. It's also not usually enough to cover the whole house. 

What the tech told you about the building is true. Plaster walls, windows, masonry, metal in house construction all will affect the wifi. Even other people router's cause interference. 

I would recommend getting a mesh network like Netgear Orbi or Google Wifi and turn off the wireless radio in the G1100.  

miltk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

on my mini or lenovo laptop, in the same room, 15' away from the router. the verizon router or dlink dual,,,,it doesn't matter. the verizon is about 45mbps and the dlink is about 6mbps. so there are no obstructions.

performance wise i guess, it doesn't matter. i never tested the wifi speed except this time because i got the fios. but previously when i had spectrum  in another room, my mini or fire stick would occasionally buffer or just act spotty, so i got a better dlink router with better results. i only cared about the streaming and never tested the speed. so when the new router performed well that was good enough for me.

so well,  i was just shocked at the wifi speed. i don't get close to what you get at 5ghz. my 5 is the same as my 2.4. again, in the same room 15' away from the router. i don't have any noticeable impediments. the routers are free and clear of anything nearby. it's just that the technician who installed told me to expect around 300mbps

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It could be the devices themselves.

Depending on their age, they may not be up to snuff.

Have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates for them?