getting 1/2 the speed I'm paying for & in too much pain to be on phone for hours--HELP
23nibroc
Enthusiast - Level 2

My children do a Cyber school and have been getting disconnected from class for months now.  I'm also having losing the internet at random times on my desktop. A friend told me how to check my speed (since I know so little about computers) and I found out I'm only getting 1/2 the speeds I'm paying for!!!!  I've called Verizon customer service in WHATEVER COUNTRY 6 times now but I have to hang up after any longer than 35 minutes because of chronic pain!  Tech makes me turn off my router, check my speed, (when I know they can see the speed right in front of them, after 1 rep told me the speed without my asking) and computer share.   Nothing gets resolved, I NEVER GET THE CALL FROM A SUPERVISOR THAT WAS PROMISED, and Verizon closes out the problem after 72 hours!!  Seems  like EVERYONE ELSE HERE GETS THE SAME RUNAROUND AND LACK OF RESPECT!!  One billing person offered me a refund for the difference in speed for only 1 month and offered me to upgrade!!  I can't afford to upgrade and the Cyber will work if I would only get the speed I had when 1 started with Verizon in 2002!  I said UNACCEPTABLE and am having to call back once a week (because that's all I can handle)  to try to get a Supervisor!  Can anyone tell me how to get help without the exhaustion of being on the phone forever?! 

All I know is I'm paying for 1.1-3 mbps but only getting .439-.864mbps download and 0.08-0.09 upload speeds and I have a Westfall 327W 8 year old modem.

Re: getting 1/2 the speed I'm paying for & in too much pain to be on phone for hours--HELP
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Log into the Westell at http://192.168.1.1/ from any PC and then do the following, based on what you see.

1: If you see a Red and Black Verizon page with a bunch of information on it, click on the System Monitoring at the top navigation and then choose Advanced Monitors on the Left hand side Navigation. Press Yes past the prompt if any appears, and then choose Trasceiver Statistics.

2: If you see a Blue and White Westell page, select Troubleshooting, DSL, and then choose DSL/Transceiver Statistics.

Provide the Information you see there by copying and pasting it. It will contain information such as Attenuation, Margin, Power Level, and show the modem speed.

Should you be asked for a login, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Your Verizon Username and Password

The information I'm asking for here will let me see how your line is running. If the physical loop is OK, we'll have to check into other things. In the past, Verizon tech support agents used to ask for this information over the phone to verify how a line was operating, even though they could probably pull it up from the equipment on their end. Lately it seems that many of the agents no longer ask for this information for whatever reason (either they cannot see it, or are not trained to do so) but it's often a great place to start when slow speeds and disconnects are occurring.

0 Likes
Re: getting 1/2 the speed I'm paying for & in too much pain to be on phone for hours--HELP
Travis_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

Hello! I've sent you a pm relating to your post.

0 Likes
23nibroc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for replying and sorry it took so long to respond.  Now I can't get into my Verizon email so I didn't know I had a response on this site. I was also physically unable to sit at my computer.  Here is the info you requested:

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0   Vendor ID Code: 4   Line Mode: G.DMT Mode   Data Path: Interleaved     Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream PathDSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 864 160 Margin (dB) 20.5 31.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 44.5 29.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 3.3 11.1

on 8/15 I had the slowest download speed yet of 0.17 mbps! I am paying for 1.1-3mbps.  My modem is 6 or 7 years old.  I'm not sure if I mentioned the last 2 sentences before.

23nibroc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Travis,

I don't know what a pm is.  Does it show up in email?  If it does, that doesn't help because now I can't access my verizon email account (for 2 weeks now)!

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

@23nibroc wrote:

Hello Travis,

I don't know what a pm is.  Does it show up in email?  If it does, that doesn't help because now I can't access my verizon email account (for 2 weeks now)!

Please check your Private Message (PM) Inbox.; It should look like this --

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't see anything immediately wrong with those statistics you're giving, but if you are paying for the 1.1Mbps-3Mbps speed, your speed should be much higher. It looks like Verizon has you locked at the 768kbps speed, so that should for sure, be fixed. As far as the disconnects go, do you happen to know if they correlate with certain weather patterns or with certain times of the day? Do they seem to occur more when there is usage on the Internet or is it purely random? Some people have found some fixes to their disconnect problem as simple as ensuring their modem is running cool.

0 Likes