good recommendation for a cheap (but good) gigabit router?
fruitheads

My Verizon FiOS router is not working anymore, the tech recommended that rather than getting another one (I had the g1100) and paying the leasing fees, I just buy my own router since I have the ONT with ethernet anyway. I looked on the forums there's a guide on how to set up the connection with your own router seems pretty simple. I also anyways have a Ubiquiti AP access point for my wireless needs so I don't even need a router that has good wireless capability.

Anyone have any good suggestions for what I should be using? Considering that a used Verizon FiOS G1100 router is going for between 25 to $35 shipped on eBay right now I would like to spend less than that. I'll spend more if it's worth it.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

0 Likes
Re: good recommendation for a cheap (but good) gigabit router?
jonjones1
Legend

Sorry I would not be able to go at or near $25 but if you go to Best Buy they have Netgear and TP Link Archers around $50 to $70 but that is up to you.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Going below $25? That is quite a challenge.

Do you have a powerful PC/laptop that can run 24/7? Just buy two gigabit USB-RJ45 adapters or PCIe gigabit NICs (less than $20). Build a "router" yourself. It is really just an iptable or NAT with Firewall kind. You can add VLANs, VPNs, and whatever features you'd like.

This requires a lot of technical skills + cost to run the computer 24/7.

0 Likes
fruitheads

Any good recommendation for 30-70

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're willing to spend 30-70, a used G1100 is a good solution.  They are supported by Verizon, so if you like being able to call them for help, it's the only way to go.  Make sure the seller has a fair return policy in case of issues (in particular, watch out for Frontier firmware).

If you don't care about Verizon support, go on Amazon or Microcenter and read reviews.  Lots of routers in that price range.  Be sure to get one with gigabit ports, sometimes the cheap ones are 100Mbps only.

0 Likes