how do I hook up my fios router G1100 to coax cable?
billyboyz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently moved into a townhome and signed up for 150/150 mbps internet service and phone and TV package. Verizon technician came to install the FIOS ONT and G1100 router. He told me that since there was no Ethernet cable running from garage to the house, if I wanted to get 150 /150, he had to install the router in the garage.  I agreed.

But after he left, I found out the wifi signal in my 3rd floor bedrooms was really poor so I am thinking of moving the router to 2nd floor living room to get better signal throughout the entire house. But I only have coax cable in the living room and according to the technician, the maximum speed I get will be 100 /100 mbps. Well even in the garage I never got 150 /150 as promised, the most I got was like 90 /90 mbps. So maybe this was not an issue after all.

I wanted to do the moving myself but don't know how to connect the router:

in the garage its like this now: ONT -->ethernet cable -->router WAN port, ONT -->coax cable --> 5-way splitter --> 4 coax go inside the house, 1 goes back to router coxa port (what's its purpose?). 

In the living room, I currently have coax cable --> STB, if I move my router here, I'd assume I need a 2-way splitter, one to STB, the 2nd to the router on coax port, and maybe an ethernet cable from STB to one of the 4 Ethernet LAN port on the router? Is this right? And is there any setting in the ONT to tell it to send internet traffic throught COAX instead of Ethernet port?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how do I hook up my fios router G1100 to coax cable?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are paying for 100mb or higher service, then Verizon would not want you to go to coax. But they can do it. Your speed will be limited.

Either way you will have to contact them and ask them to provision you for MOCA rather than ethernet.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS can only carry internet service via coax up to 100M. Over that, it has to be Ethernet.

0 Likes
billyboyz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your reply. My question is not about speed of Ethernet vs coax, I need to move the router from garage to a room where there is only coax cable, how do I connect it to the router so I have better wifi signal strength for the entire house?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are paying for 100mb or higher service, then Verizon would not want you to go to coax. But they can do it. Your speed will be limited.

Either way you will have to contact them and ask them to provision you for MOCA rather than ethernet.

billyboyz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks tns2. I think I am going to get an old router to bridge the wifi to the upstair bedrooms, that way I can still enjoy the 150/150 (in theory or on paper) internet speed in my basement.

0 Likes
greenwave_rtr
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the similar problem.

Tech offered an interesting alternative --

1) leave the router in the garage, connected to ONT with cat5e

2) have the router "output" thru its coax port

3) have a coax-based extender to pick up the signal upstairs where the input to extender is coax while the output is ethernet (which presumably goes to your switch)

He even showed me that extender (which costs about $100 -- buy you can certainly get it cheaper yourself).

I didn't bother in the end, opting to drill thru a wall to run the cat5e instead.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They will normally leave the coax connected even if you are using Ethernet to the ONT.  Its necessary for FIOS TV service, which even if you don't have now, they want to convince you to have.

0 Likes