how to set up wifi
mgtime911
Enthusiast - Level 1
Ok I have Westell Model: a90-750015-07 & its being used as DSL right now how can I set up to use as wifi for my computer & other PCs I have in the house?
Tags (3)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how to set up wifi
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It should have been configured to broadcast a Wireless signal out of the box. The information to connect to the Westell should be located on the bottom of the router, more than likely on a sticker. If this information isn't present, then do the following:

Log into the Westell at http://192.168.1.1/ and then click Wireless Settings at the top of the page. If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Your Router's Serial Number

Your Verizon Username and Password

Once there, you should see a detail of how the wireless is configured, along with the default WEP key. If it does not, choose the Basic Wireless Options link from the Left hand side Navigation. This will take you to a page asking for information on what wireless security level to choose. Clicking on WEP should take you to a page that will give you the Wireless key, or it should show once you've clicked on the link.

From there, using your key and the SSID (Network Name) that the Westell shows, connect your PCs to the wireless network.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It should have been configured to broadcast a Wireless signal out of the box. The information to connect to the Westell should be located on the bottom of the router, more than likely on a sticker. If this information isn't present, then do the following:

Log into the Westell at http://192.168.1.1/ and then click Wireless Settings at the top of the page. If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Your Router's Serial Number

Your Verizon Username and Password

Once there, you should see a detail of how the wireless is configured, along with the default WEP key. If it does not, choose the Basic Wireless Options link from the Left hand side Navigation. This will take you to a page asking for information on what wireless security level to choose. Clicking on WEP should take you to a page that will give you the Wireless key, or it should show once you've clicked on the link.

From there, using your key and the SSID (Network Name) that the Westell shows, connect your PCs to the wireless network.

lilhighway
Enthusiast - Level 3

http://www.us-cert.gov/sites/default/files/publications/TenWaystoImproveNewComputerSecurity.pdf

How Do I Improve the Security of My Home Computer?

Following are ten important things you can do to make your home computer more secure.
While
no individual step will completely eliminate your risk, together these practices wi
ll make your
home computer’s defense strong and minimize the threat of malicious activity.

1. Connect to a Secure Network

Once your computer is connected to the internet, it’s also connected
to millions of other
connected computer
s, which could, in turn,
allow attackers to connect to your computer.
Information flows from the internet to
your home network by first coming into
your modem,
then to your router
, which most people have
, and finally to your computer. Because your modem
doesn’t have security setti
ngs, it’s crucial to secure your router
the first securable device that
receives information from the internet. Be sure to secure it
before

you connect to the internet to
improve your computer’s security.

If you don’t have a router, contact your service pr
ovider to
learn how you can best secure your network.

The default configurations of most home routers offer little security. Though it may seem
cumbersome to spend time configuring your router’s settings, it’s well worth it because a secure
router is one o
f the best initial lines of defense. To secure your router, consult its user’s guide,
which will direct you to a predefined URL or IP address where you can do the following:

Configure the wireless network to use WPA2
-
AES encryption for data confidentiality

Change the default login username, if permitted (refer to the user’s guide), and password.
(The default passwords are published in manufacturer’s publications and are readily
accessible.)

Conduct
MAC
a
ddress
f
iltering (
a
form of whitelisting
, or identify
ing wirelessly
connected computers you trust
)

Change the default wireless SSID.
0 Likes
eigirl1

I have ADSL2+ROUTER AND DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SET IT UP FOR WIFI.  I AM A SENIOR AND NEED CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS.   PLEASE

0 Likes