internet connection
Rick114

when I put a new wireless modem on the DSL line present we can not get the internet only the DSL connection. I put the old modem back on and then we can get the internet again, where or what am I missing.

0 Likes
Re: internet connection
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Is this a Wireless Gateway you're installing or a router that hangs off of the modem? If it's a Wireless Gateway, you need to configure it for PPPoE connectivity in order for it to work with the DSL; it's generally not a plug and play service. If you tell us what equipment you're using (model numbers please), we can help you out.
Rick114

The unit is from Verizon, modem/router wireless 7500 with instructions. The dsl line has the old still dsl modem only. I need to connect the new one in its place. When I do the dsl lite goes to green but we can not get to the internet lite. When I put the old back on the dsl and internet lite are present. Still need help. Thanks.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your old modem?

#2 What is the OS and Version of your computer? For example, Windows XP Home SP3

0 Likes
Rick114

The present modem is a Westell model F90-611016-06, REV E, ADSL2+ modem bridge

My OS is Window 7 Premium Home Edition, updated daily.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, let us do some pre check list directions..

#1 Your computer is directly connected to the Westell model F90-611016-06, REV E?

#2 If not to my last question, what is the brand and model of the device that it is connected to?

--

If your computer is connected directly to this modem: On your computer check the type of connection. This means, in your case...

#1 Go to the globe in the lower left hand corner.

#2 Go to the Control Panel

#3 Click on View Network Status and Tasks.

#4 Single click Change adapter settings on the left side of your screen.

a) Do you anything about a  wan miniport (pppoe)??  

b) It will look something like this sample screen shot.

#5 If not:

a) Right click on the NIC listed and go to Status

b) Click Details.

c) Record down the Physical Address. You might need this latter on..

d) With a web browser go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

e) Below the text that says The text below might uniquely identify you on the Internet is an IP Address.

f) On your computer where you found the Physical Address is the IP Address the same?

--

http://www.gilsmethod.com/how-to-find-a-computers-ip-address-in-windows-7

0 Likes
Rick114

This is very good info but I still need to know how to get the westell 7500 to see the internet once the dsl lite goes to green.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Do you see anything about a  wan miniport (pppoe), where I  told you to look (Yes or NO)?

#2 If no, on your computer where you found the Physical Address is the IP Address there the same that you see below the text that says The text below might uniquely identify you on the Interne at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

?

0 Likes