internet freezes up
techmark61
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem.

This all started about two months ago and it has progressively gotten worse. Whether I am using Internet Explorer 8.0 or Firefox 5.0.1 my internet connection will suddenly freeze up. I am able to sometimes close the windows, but when using Firefox, I cannot re-open it unless I restart the computer because it keeps coming with "Firefox is already running error". Also whether it is IE8 or Firefox, there are 3 or 4 processes still running after it freezes up and I close out the window.

So far, I have disabled all add-ons to both IE8 and Firefox. I thought I might have a worm, trojan or virus, so I ran several malware utilites: Malware Bytes, Super Anti-spyware, IObit Malware. I have run NAV. I have also run Glary Utilites and CCleaner. I did all of this in the Safe Mode, but nothing was found.

I have unistalled all of the programs that I recently installed, but to no avail. This happens whether I am using the direct connection to my router (NETGEAR) from my desktop or from my laptop through the wireless protion of my router.

There is no rhyme or reason when this happens. Sometimes it is after being on the internet for 1 minute or ten minutes.

I can't tell whether it is my router or the DSL connection because I have had Verizon for so long that my installation disks don't work with XP and I when I try to bypass my router, I can never acquire a network address, I am assuming it is because that I don't have the installation disks. I am also using the Westell modem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: internet freezes up
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which modem or router are you currently using? This will help us troubleshoot your problem better.

0 Likes
phillips17872

westfall 7500

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@techmark61 wrote:

I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem.

This all started about two months ago and it has progressively gotten worse. Whether I am using Internet Explorer 8.0 or Firefox 5.0.1 my internet connection will suddenly freeze up. I am able to sometimes close the windows, but when using Firefox, I cannot re-open it unless I restart the computer because it keeps coming with "Firefox is already running error". Also whether it is IE8 or Firefox, there are 3 or 4 processes still running after it freezes up and I close out the window.

So far, I have disabled all add-ons to both IE8 and Firefox. I thought I might have a worm, trojan or virus, so I ran several malware utilites: Malware Bytes, Super Anti-spyware, IObit Malware. I have run NAV. I have also run Glary Utilites and CCleaner. I did all of this in the Safe Mode, but nothing was found.

I have unistalled all of the programs that I recently installed, but to no avail. This happens whether I am using the direct connection to my router (NETGEAR) from my desktop or from my laptop through the wireless protion of my router.

There is no rhyme or reason when this happens. Sometimes it is after being on the internet for 1 minute or ten minutes.

I can't tell whether it is my router or the DSL connection because I have had Verizon for so long that my installation disks don't work with XP and I when I try to bypass my router, I can never acquire a network address, I am assuming it is because that I don't have the installation disks. I am also using the Westell modem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is going to be an issue with your pc and its handling of your browser(s), not the network. If it's failing to end the processes properly then you need to be looking at why that is.

0 Likes
Cinders613

Ihave the same issue quite frequently and i have it onmultiple devices so it cannot just be the PC I am using.  It will freeze up for a few seconds and I have to go to the mail or something else to unfreeze it.  COuld it be a faulty Verizon Router?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

95% of the time, processes not ending from a browse is due to an add-on. 4% of the time it's due to a memory leak in a page where killing the process is due to happen anyways. The rest is due to something horribly wrong with the OS.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over four years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes