just had FiOS installed, getting disconnect
hyperyoda
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just had FiOS (15/5) installed this afternoon with 250 channel TV package. I went to speedtest.net and I'm seeing very good speeds and nice latency. Problem is that I logged into IRC, had ssh session oepn (using putty) and also logged into an online game (game lets you idle) and left the computer around 8pm to watch TV, when I just came back now at 10pm both my irc and game clients had timed out indicating a disruption in my net connectivity. My Steam client also showed a disconnect and later reconnect. The game log indicates disconnection happened at 21:54 which is 2 hours and 2 minutes after I had started the game client and gone idle. The FiOS tech finished installed around 5:45pm so the connection was on for around 4 hours before the disconnect. Previously I had Speakeasy DSL and never experienced these timeouts when I left my computer idle. On the machine this happened (my desktop) it has a direct wired ethernet connection  to the verizon wireless router. It issues me an IP via DHCP. I checked the DHCP lease it did not expire (and I hope it auto-renews when that happens in 24 hours? never used DHCP before). So I am wondering is this a known issue and how can it be fixed? I am really happy with the speed, but want to be able to leave clients open for long periods without getting disconnects. BTW I have ethernet from the ONT to the router so no coax at play there.

Router is: Actiontec MI424-WR Revision C.

Firmware Version:    4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate (x64). I really hope this can be resolved.

I logged into router and advanced options to see system log and only thing I see around time of the disconnect is:

Jun 28 21:45:33 2011 System Log WAN DHCP DHCP WAN connection IP:108.32.64.202,DNS:71.252.0.12 71.250.0.12 ,GTW:108.32.64.1,Subnet:255.255.255.0 (WAN MoCA)

Jun 28 20:45:32 2011 System Log WAN Coax WAN Coax Link Up
Jun 28 20:45:19 2011 System Log WAN Coax WAN Coax Link Down

But I thought the Coax referred to the MOCA which does TV service not the ethernet I have going to the router. Is that related?

I guess this is for the FiOS TV since he set up the router to not use MOCA (coax) for the internet connection?

Shouldn't the disconnect be mentioned in the system log?

Re: just had FiOS installed, getting disconnect
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most all FiOS installations use MoCA to connect on the WAN portion of the connection to the ONT.  While they can be provisioned to use 100mb ethernet, MoCA is actually faster -- but regardless either is faster than the uplink speed to the ONT so it doesn't matter.   With FiOS TV, your router needs to have a MoCA LAN interface (same cable different frequency) to allow the TV STB's to communicate with the Internet to obtain their guide data, etc.   Is the Ethernet WAN interface actually connected to the ONT, or is it just the regular Coax?

From the log, it would certainly look like the router either obtained a new DHCP WAN lease address or something reset.  While not common, this does happen from time to time.

As for your open / idle sessions.  Most firewalls implement an idle session timeout.   This frees up resources from sessions which have terminated but failed to send a packet to terminate the session.   It's entirely possible that if you have no traffic whatsoever on those connections for a period of time, that the router will time them out of the state table.   TCP Keepalive or simply there being some traffic on the connection will prevent that.    

hyperyoda
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. I called FiOS tech support today and they tried reprovisioning the ONT to Ethernet WAN instead of MoCA WAN but there is something wrong (a bad ethernet port in the ONT perhaps) and the ONT could not see the router at all. So a tech is coming out tomorrow.

Regarding the disconnect it is not a firewall issue because I have the same firewall and settings now as I did when I had DSL and I would often leave ssh session open for DAYS and it never once disconnected. Plus since every other net connected program (Steam, IM, Gmail) disconnected it shows that there was a genuine loss of network connectivity. I wish I could find out what caused it. Anyway I can dig deeper into this? Running Windows 7.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@hyperyoda wrote:

I wish I could find out what caused it. Anyway I can dig deeper into this? .

You apparently lost your WAN connection between the ONT and the router. Not a common occurrance as long as your splitters and coax are in good shape.  You might check your MOCA WAN stats and see if you have a marginal signal:

How to check MOCA stats

Also, the ONT might have rebooted for some unknown reason, or you might have had a noise spike on the coax.

There are event logs in the ONT, but you would need to get ahold of someone at VZ that has access to them.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The firewall to which I was referring was the one inside the ActionTec router which performs the PAT translation and port forwarding functions.

Unless this is regularly occurring event, I'm going with the original suggestion that something just blipped (welcome to the Internet) and move on.