.local W2012R2 server, DHCP & DNS oh my.
rokosz2
I've read quite a few posts re DHCP and FIOS routers (mine is the G1100). This link seems to be a foreboding portent that this will not be successful. https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Alternate-DHCP-and-DNS-Server-with-FiOS-G1100/m-p/859642 But since every sitch is different I'll try asking here: I'm configuring a local domain. There are three devices in the environment: 1) Server (the DC) W2012R2 has static IP assigned 2) Wkstn Win7Prof (W7P) 3) Wkstn Win10 prof (W10) The W7P is set for "Obtain DNS Server address automatically" When I try to join the W7P to the local domain using the domain name (eg myserver.com), the attempt comes back with a "AD DC could not be contacted". If I try to join with name of the AD DC (eg myServerHome) I get the same response but, deep in the description is: "The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses: 192.168.1.1" The W10 machine has the IP of the W2012 as its "use the following dns server address. It joined the domain without incident and has no trouble with surfing. One of my gurus said that for best practices All endpoints s/b set to obtain DNS automaticlly. And then went on to say "Go into the DHCP server configuration and remove anything in the DNS servers section but your DCs. If you have any other (like 8.8.8.8) you will have issues." How on the G1100 do I get into the DHCP server config? I don't seen anything specific to DHCP. The closest I get is the "DNS Server" area. In that area I've added two entries with the same IP: Myserver.com & MyServerHome but that's hasn't fixed the issue I understand this could be a Windows specfic issue at this point since the W10 is fine, but the W7P is not. Could this be an issue of the G1100 not allowing user control of the DHCP server? If not, anyone have an idea of how to go about this? tx
0 Likes