message from fios about security
billeverhart

I got a message on my phone from fios this morning when my son turned on his xbox. It says:

xbox-systemos tried to access x1.c.lencr.org but we blocked it. It's part of the Malicious Downloads category. Should we always allow this site?

My son said he didn't try to download anything, he just turned on the xbox and started playing a game. 

Is this something I need to be worried about? 

0 Likes
Re: message from fios about security
billeverhart

We just had the message pop up on my phone again while he was playing call of duty. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The downloading request might be scripted in the game itself. A game (and any other applications) can also be hijacked by malicious software to download trojans and viruses from the Internet.

As long as the game is still playable, you can just leave it as is (i.e. being blocked). Otherwise you might need to contact the developer of the game and ask them whether the download from that site is necessary for the game's function.

Dandelion225

The same thing happened to us 3 times today.  He played F1, 2K and MLB

0 Likes
Wheresthelie

We just had this happen while my son was watching Disney + on Xbox.  So I don’t think it’s just about the game.  I think Xbox may have been infected with malware.  Not sure what that’s about. 

0 Likes
Dandelion225

I told my son to unplug it and I'm glad my FIOS blocked it.

0 Likes
Karine2

I had the same message pop up twice today so I chatted with a FIOS agent. His response was to "Visit your antivirus vendor's site and make sure your software it is up to date.". Since it's regarding the XBox, I investigated further, and found out we don't need anti-virus protection on the XBOx as "it's virtually impossible to get a virus on the Xbox". So, now I'm not sure what to do about it.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any device that can download files from another resource needs anti-virus protection and firewall. Whoever made the claim that x device cannot be infected/hacked is incorrect.

IanC1

I got this message yesterday while playing Apex legends and was kicked out of the game (for about a week now I've been randomly getting kicked out of this game and others from the same developer).  Also about a week ago my Toshiba FireTV stopped working and it completely unusable.  The site in the message lencr.org is a well-established and reputable organization that provides free and automated encryption certificates for cloud computing purposes.  I disabled the home network protection and now my FireTV and games work again.  Verizon, please engage McAffee to have this critical false positive fixed; until it is fixed, I must keep the security disabled, or switch back to my old router.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe the correct course of action is to ask the developers of the games and FireTV to contact McAffee. To remove something from McAffee's watchlist, McAffee definitely would need the resource owners to rigorously prove that their resources are harmless.

Verizon, as a customer of McAffee, probably can only bring those blocked resources to McAffee's attention. To re-classify those resources as harmless, McAffee need to contact the resource owners.