modem/router
ivenholt

So I currently have the Actiontec wi424 rev d modem that verizon provided when I had fios first installed(a few years ago) . The port is limited to 10/100 base t for networking. Verizon is now using a rev F version of the router which provides 10/100/1000 support for networking, which my pc's support. I do a lot of file swapping between my pc's at home and could really use the  1000

mbs network support, but Verizon will not upgrade my modem/router unless there is an issue with it. I feel like I am paying for there service and should get the best equipment they have to offer. I  have always been extremely satisfied with Verizon but I am not now. What a let down.

0 Likes
Re: modem/router
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're paying Verizon to provide you with connectivity to the Internet, not for home networking.   The reality is that the speed of the ports which the router works at presently exceeds the capacity of any internet plan they offer.  I don't think anyone would want to be paying the amount of money it would cost to have Verizon constantly letting people swap out perfectly functional equipment -- this router/modem isn't cheap when you consider it has split MoCA/ethernet capabilities -- and I certainly don't want them charging a "device rental" fee for the modem to offset the costs which could come with such a capability.

Since you seem focused on home networking from a wired ethernet perspective, simply go buy the proper equipment for the job -- a simple inexpensive 10/100/1000 switch will do the trick, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-GREENnet-1000Mbps-Auto-Negotiation-Auto-MDIX/dp/B001QUA6R0/ref=sr_1_4...

Connect one port to any open port on the router/modem and connect all your PC's to the other open ports on the switch.

Done.

ivenholt

So as to your thinking Verizon should just provide us with a Modem and be done with it.....

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

They are providing a device which enables the STB's (for FiOS TV) and computers (for Internet) to communicate with their network at speeds equal to or greater than that for which you are subscribed.   That's what I would expect them to provide. Anything more than that is above and beyond the base "requirement".   Would I take later technology if it were offered in the router?  Sure.   Do I need it or want to pay more for it?  No.

Me personally, I use my own switches (10/100/1000), MoCA adapter for ethernet extension over Coax, and wireless access points (Wireless N, dual band).  These are all relatively inexpensive items -- which I can replaced and upgraded any time I wish based on my specific network requirements.  Frankly, I don't want Verizon in that space -- it's my house and my local area network.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@ivenholt wrote:

So as to your thinking Verizon should just provide us with a Modem and be done with it.....

Absolutely. That is exactly what they should be doing. And if it wasnt for their TV service, that is likely exactly what they would be doing.

0 Likes
ivenholt

Here's what you get with FiOS Internet

• The top-rated broadband service in America
  • Wireless router at no extra cost
  • Award-winning 24-hour care and support
  • Top upload and download speeds
  • Verizon Wi-Fi (in Faster and Fastest plans)
  • Free premium installation
  • A free Verizon email address
  • Free personal Web space
  • 100% fiber optics to your home
  • Exclusive games and events on ESPN3.com
  • One free computer setup
  • Fast streaming and sharing

And if a modem was all they advertised I would have no problem with it.....

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you can always buy one off of e-bay? or get a 1 gig switch in the house. 

0 Likes
ivenholt

sounds like a good idea, I wonder why the tech rep at Verizon didn't suggest that......

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ivenholt wrote:

sounds like a good idea, I wonder why the tech rep at Verizon didn't suggest that......

Because Verizon won't support the setup once you replace their router (it's not a modem) with your own router.

Think you are going to be shocked when you find out how much a new moca connected rev f modem is going to cost you and all for no gain on the speed of internet access.

If you are looking for speed of transfer on your internal network and also wireless-n access then all you need to do is get your own wireless-n/gigabit router and install it behind the Verizon router.

You'll probably be back here when you get to that point as Verizon won't help you with that either as anything on your side of the Verizon router, besides the single machine setup, is your responsibility.

ticked814

Some time after my contract was up with Verizon, I chose to purchase my own better router/modem. I bought top of the line, and it solved all the wireless connectivity issues in my home. My next bill from Verizon included a charge for a router showing an order date. $140 plus $12 in taxes. I immediately contacted them, they took all the info and said it would be handled. For over 3 months I have been waiting for them to remove the charge for said router, show me the proof of order, the serial # of devise they charged me for. I have a receipt for the router I bought, one they don't carry, and also told them the router they provided me with upon initial installation was still here and they could have it back. Even tho it was "free" to me from them. I certainly hope most ppl keep a close eye on their accounts. I refuse to pay for a device I didn't order or receive. I wont quit fighting this. They have yet to provide me with any paper work or the credit for Item. They did however credit the sales tax for it from my bill. ??

0 Likes