new fios, disconnecting all the time.
atantekeier
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recently got Fios internet installed in my home, and the speed is quite good, i have no complaints with the speed of the internet, but my main problem is I keep getting disconnected quite often. I play online games and every 10-20 min I will get booted from the game, and also any other program that uses the internet as well, such as ventrilo. (an online voice communication software)

I was connected through wireless and thought that was the problem, so I purchased a cat6 ethernet cable and went hard wired right to the router. and Im still having this problem. Is this a problem with the router? Verizon? or my computer?

I dont think that it is my comupter however since before I got the fios I was not disconnected like this, it only started happening when i upgraded to Fios and verizon.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: new fios, disconnecting all the time.
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes and no actually ... the "reset" applies to the specific port (and RST being inserted into the TCP packet stream to cause the source host to close the connection).   It wouldn't affect other traffic on the router and to my knowledge, Verizon isn't doing any of the same type of stuff that Comcast was doing as a traffic shaping measure.

In this particular thread ... the coax link reporting that it's going up and down is indicative of a bad connection to the ONT.   Check to make sure that there are no bad splitters or splitters which are improperly rated (5-1000mhz) in the data path, no amp's, and remove connections and splits to any outlets thats that aren't in use unless they have a terminator on them.

Try removing all other devices connected and connecting the router via a short length of good coax to directly to the ONT.   If the problem goes away, it's a cabling issue in the house.   If not, it's the router or ONT which is having issues.

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The game your playing doesnt happen to be WOW is it?

WOW has a known problem with many ISP's.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Verify that the Verizon router is not rebooting. You can do this simply by looking at the front lights, or by logging into the router and checking it's log (which might also clue into the problem as well). To get into the router, go to http://192.168.1.1/ . By default, the Username is admin and the Password is the serial number of your router (found on a sticker underneath it). You can post up the log here if you wish for us to look at, Pastebin preferred (for me at least).
atantekeier
Enthusiast - Level 3

The game i am talking about is wow, but like i said in the OP that the chat software i use at the same time i am playing the game also disconnects at the same time as the game, this is why i do not suspect wow.

atantekeier
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is what i found in the log at the time of the disconnects. Any one know why it would do this?

Jan 15 15:16:05 2011 System Log WAN Coax WAN Coax Link Up
Jan 15 15:15:57 2011 System Log WAN Coax WAN Coax Link Down

There are quite a few of those in the log, 

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the brand, model, hardware version of your router?

For example: Actiontec, WI-424-WR, Rev C.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually, if the game is WOW that is likely to be the issue. If what Blizzard said is true that its.

On a previous thread about WOW disconnects, it was said that Blizzard made an announcement that they changed the way that WOW sends its information back and forth between the client and server. This change made the traffic look like filesharing instead of gaming traffic causing the ISP's to reset the connection.

Now I dont know how much of that is actually true, but I cannot see Blizzard admitting that if it wasnt. If true, if WOW is actually causing the connection to be reset, then any other program connecting at the same time would also be disconnected.

Thats the reasoning for my asking anyway.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes and no actually ... the "reset" applies to the specific port (and RST being inserted into the TCP packet stream to cause the source host to close the connection).   It wouldn't affect other traffic on the router and to my knowledge, Verizon isn't doing any of the same type of stuff that Comcast was doing as a traffic shaping measure.

In this particular thread ... the coax link reporting that it's going up and down is indicative of a bad connection to the ONT.   Check to make sure that there are no bad splitters or splitters which are improperly rated (5-1000mhz) in the data path, no amp's, and remove connections and splits to any outlets thats that aren't in use unless they have a terminator on them.

Try removing all other devices connected and connecting the router via a short length of good coax to directly to the ONT.   If the problem goes away, it's a cabling issue in the house.   If not, it's the router or ONT which is having issues.

Antalvarez610
Hope I can still get a reply know its an old thread but I'm having the same exact problem thought it was my router so I had it replaced got it today still have the same problem I disconnect then prety much teconnect right away dont think it's a problem with wow and verizon because I take my laptop to my friends he has the same internet package I do and I won't disconnect all night please help this is getting very frustrating
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you log into your ActionTec and promvide the logs it currently has? We need to see if the logs clue into anything so that we aren't shooting blanks here. The login can be performed as follows:

Visit http://192.168.1.1/

admin

Router's Serial Number (Found on the bottom sticker)

If the password does not work, try password, password1, admin, and admin1.

If you have never logged into the ActionTec before, you may be asked to change the password. Please do so if the first screen you see is prompting you for a new password.

The logs can be found under the System Monitoring > Logging section of the router.

0 Likes