newest version of MI424-WR & speeds
cangler
Enthusiast - Level 2

i am using MI424-WR rev. C and noticed there is a newer version out with better/faster features... how can i switch over? ive already had to replaced my router once, i think i had Rev. A or B and it basically stopped working... so I went to a Verizon store, and they just gave me another router (the one im using now, Rev. C)...but I think Rev. E is out now... would I be able to just swap it out? I want to get the full benefit of my fios connection.

on another note, if my fios plan is 35/35 down/up....i get over 40 down (from any bandwidth test server), but my up is no where near 35...it's more like 7-15 on average, and if i use a dallas tx (test server) i get like 25 up.....so not sure why my down is impressive but my upload isn't what i am expecting.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: newest version of MI424-WR & speeds
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cangler wrote:

according to this, Rev E supports gigabit....and wireless N ??

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=188

That would be the default specs for the Rev. E if you were to buy it directly from ActionTec. The routers Verizon purchased were still Rev. E units, however they still had 100Mbps switches and a Wireless G radio installed. Really, the only real difference between the Rev C (and Rev. D since they're pretty darn identical except for a switch layout and a missing JTAG header), and the Rev. E would be the fact that the Rev. E has a dual core 64-bit CPU (should!) and the Rev. E has a bit more RAM. From there, the Rev. F is just a Rev. E with Draft N capabilities. The Rev. G is a Rev. F however it has full Gigabit support and Standard Wireless N.

It'll be hard to get anything more than a Rev D out of Verizon. Rev. E and F units are typically reserved for new installs so it's a luck of the draw. Rev. G units are reserved for the highest FiOS package, but if you REALLY want to go there you can get Verizon to cough over a Rev. G. Expect a nice fight for that, though.

Even though the Rev. A ActionTecs are very old, perhaps not as old as the D-Link DI-524s + Motorola NIM100s that Verizon used to give out, the Rev. A is still a perfectly good router. It's rated to handle a full 100Mbps connection as confirmed by guys such as SmallNetBuilder, so it has power under the hood, even though the firmware is a bit lacking and there seems to be a lack of WPA2 support on the Rev. A and B. If you need Gigabit or N, just hang an access point and/or a swittch off of one of the ActionTec's Ethernet ports and move on.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
wherestheanykey
Enthusiast - Level 3

Bandwidth isn't guaranteed.  Moreover, upload rates are far more inconsistent and depend on a number of additional factors that download rates aren't hampered by.

Make sure you're running the latest driver for your NIC/wireless adapter.  Also, it could just be that the test server doesn't have the bandwidth required to let you upload at your maximum rate.

Try testing via Bit Torrent (contrary to popular belief, there are legal downloads via torrents.  Ubuntu is one of them.)

cangler
Enthusiast - Level 2

now i see there is REV. F, is this the latest version? im quite behind with REV. C

tns
Master - Level 2

Latest is rev G. But essentially impossible to get unless you have 150/35 or higher service.

Currently it is hard to get verizon to agree to upgrade a router.  Speed wise a through e are the same speed.  Various improvements with each.

F Inculdes wireless N support .

G Includes wireless N and gigabit wired.

cangler
Enthusiast - Level 2

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cangler wrote:

Wouldn't make any difference to you.  A 100mb/wireless-g router can handle faster speeds than your 35/35 connection can deliver.

They'll give you an F rev if you pony up for the ultra high speed connections.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@viafax999 wrote:

@cangler wrote:

Wouldn't make any difference to you.  A 100mb/wireless-g router can handle faster speeds than your 35/35 connection can deliver.

They'll give you an F rev if you pony up for the ultra high speed connections.

Nope.  no wireless N and they did not include gigabit even thouth Actiontec said it was capable of it.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cangler wrote:

That would be the default specs for the Rev. E if you were to buy it directly from ActionTec. The routers Verizon purchased were still Rev. E units, however they still had 100Mbps switches and a Wireless G radio installed. Really, the only real difference between the Rev C (and Rev. D since they're pretty darn identical except for a switch layout and a missing JTAG header), and the Rev. E would be the fact that the Rev. E has a dual core 64-bit CPU (should!) and the Rev. E has a bit more RAM. From there, the Rev. F is just a Rev. E with Draft N capabilities. The Rev. G is a Rev. F however it has full Gigabit support and Standard Wireless N.

It'll be hard to get anything more than a Rev D out of Verizon. Rev. E and F units are typically reserved for new installs so it's a luck of the draw. Rev. G units are reserved for the highest FiOS package, but if you REALLY want to go there you can get Verizon to cough over a Rev. G. Expect a nice fight for that, though.

Even though the Rev. A ActionTecs are very old, perhaps not as old as the D-Link DI-524s + Motorola NIM100s that Verizon used to give out, the Rev. A is still a perfectly good router. It's rated to handle a full 100Mbps connection as confirmed by guys such as SmallNetBuilder, so it has power under the hood, even though the firmware is a bit lacking and there seems to be a lack of WPA2 support on the Rev. A and B. If you need Gigabit or N, just hang an access point and/or a swittch off of one of the ActionTec's Ethernet ports and move on.

0 Likes
cangler
Enthusiast - Level 2

i may just snag a rev E/F off ebay for cheap

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Good choice 🙂

0 Likes