query on security after Google reported abnormal increased activity
alf2016a
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I have several Macs on my home network using a Verizon router and it's been working fine but have a query about security. Today, I did a search using google with my Safari browswer, and received a message about abnormal increased activity from my IP address, and then google had me select pictures to show I wasn't a bot. I checked and have typical security option on router and firewall is on for macs. So how can I tell if some unexpected malware is contacting google (unlikely on a mac) or if someone is spoofing my IP address?

As far as open ports on my router firewall, I have the following:

548 and 5900 for sharing and screen sharing on one mac

4567 by Fios router

tr69_000, tr69_003, and tr69_004 which I'm not sure where they came from (probably Fios?)

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: query on security after Google reported abnormal increased activity
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

TR-069 protocol is used by Verizon to transmit and receive information from the router. I believe this protocol makes possible that you can manage LAN devices from their website remotely.

Google probably detects queries based on IP addresses. Try Re-Lease a new IP address.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 port number 4567 and port numbers starting with tr69 = ISP's backdoor so that they can support you better. Ex They can reset the router remotely.

#2 if port numbers starting with tr69 is not what I say it is:

b) second possible guess: then that is for any FIOS TV Units (think DVR)?

c) third possible guess: UPnP in the router enabled?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

TR-069 protocol is used by Verizon to transmit and receive information from the router. I believe this protocol makes possible that you can manage LAN devices from their website remotely.

Google probably detects queries based on IP addresses. Try Re-Lease a new IP address.

alf2016a
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks - all of the info was helpful but two contributors suggested Re-Leasing the IP address of the router. On other routers, this is rather simple but I can't find this on my G1100 router.

thanks again

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go to My Network > Network Connections > Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) > DHCP Lease > Release. Wait 60 seconds, the router should pull a different WAN IP.