"High Speed" DSL = Frustration
pvarlese

I've had problems over the past few months with my high speed dsl taking too long to upload and download files.  Short clips on video sites like YouTube load as if I still had dial up.

The problem came to a head during the week, when I attempted to hook up NetFlix, and after getting a message that I wouldn't be able to do so, I called a NetFlix agent, who checked my connection and told me that my speed was too slow.

I did a diagnostic today, and here's what I got:

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [8192]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 383.66Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 1.14Mb/s
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [173.61.204.182] but Client says [192.168.1.72]

My area isn't available for FIOS yet, so I either have to get this addressed, or change my internet provider, which would cause me to change the other parts of my home service as well.

What to do?

0 Likes
Re: "High Speed" DSL = Frustration
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Please post the Transceiver Statistics from your modem.

#2 If you don't know how to get them:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a seperate router: What is the brand and model of it?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you also tell us what speed package you subscribe to? It looks like Verizon may have you set to 1.5Mbps, if it isn't in fact the 1Mbps speed and the NDT Test is mis-reporting that amount due to A/V scanners.

0 Likes
pvarlese

I don't know how to get transceiver statistics from my modem.

I have a Verizon GT 704 WG Wireless Router.

I have a service called "Internet Extra" from Verizon.  I was told by the service rep that this was a faster speed than what I was getting when I first subscribed to the Verizon High Speed Service.  I'm not sure what the speed is for that package, but I can tell you that my downloads have slowed down considerably over the past 6-7 months.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Log into the ActionTec at http://192.168.1.1/ and locate the System Status page. The link to that should be found somewhere on the main page of the above address. The Status page will give DSL Line information that includes information such as as Attenuation, the line speed, SN Margin, and Transmit powers. If you can include the contents of that status page for us, that would be appreciated.

Should you need a login, try the following information:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Your Verizon Username and Password.

0 Likes
pvarlese

Speed:  1344/448 kbps

SNR Margin: 6/8

Attenuation:  63/31

DSL Setting:  MMODE

Connection Status:  Showtime

Thank you.

@Smith6612 wrote:

Log into the ActionTec at http://192.168.1.1/ and locate the System Status page. The link to that should be found somewhere on the main page of the above address. The Status page will give DSL Line information that includes information such as as Attenuation, the line speed, SN Margin, and Transmit powers. If you can include the contents of that status page for us, that would be appreciated.

Should you need a login, try the following information:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Your Verizon Username and Password.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So that is one piece of the puzzle. The next piece I'm looking for would be the history of the line. Has the DSL line ever operated at higher speeds or has it always been at the speeds it routinely pulls? Your attenuation is pretty high and the margins are low, accompanied with a downstream sync speed that is not correct. I'm looking to see if we can get more out of the line than what is already coming in to solve both the uploading issue and the streaming issues you're seeing. Your current speeds should be able to run YouTube at 480p without an issue so I don't know why that seems like dial-up for you (at all times of the day?) unless you're trying to play 720p, 1080p or 4k resolution videos.

0 Likes
pvarlese

I originally subscribed to the "regular" DSL, but it was slow, and upgraded to the "faster" package back in 2008.

Yes, the line was faster up until a year ago., and it has remained this way since.

Do you think it's a line issue?

0 Likes
pvarlese

Ummmmmm..........HELLO???????

I repsonded with all of the information requested, and have not gotten a response to date.

Does anyone from Verizon actually read and respond to these threads, or do they just die the problem never gets addressed???

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello pvarlese

This is a peer to peer support forum. If you need help from Verizon you should contact them directly

via live chat or email at: http://www.verizon.com/contactus Choose “Live Chat.”
If a chat agent is available to assist you, the chat link will become live after the page is fully loaded.

0 Likes