"WAN" MoCa Gigabit on Same Coax as LAN MoCa?
Oopey
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi All,

I have Fios internet, TV, and phone. I'm upgrading to gigabit soon, and I want to keep my G3100 router where it is (which is not near the ONT). The router is currently connected to ONT via coax (through a splitter, i.e., ONT-->splitter-->router, STBs, MoCa adapters). I'm trying to figure out how to keep all STBs and LAN MoCa adapters happy while connecting G3100 router to ONT via ethernet-->MoCa-->ethernet.

When I'm upgraded to gigabit, I know that the ONT will flip from MoCa to ethernet for internet capability, meaning: i) I will need an ethernet wire coming out of the ONT, and ii) I will need an ethernet wire going into the G3100 router's WAN port. But - does it need to be a direct ethernet wiring from the ONT to G3100 router?

Or, can I ("Set up 1") have the ONT ethernet wire going into a MoCa adapter (a "WAN MoCa adapter"?), then have a coax cable connect to another MoCa adapter next to the router, then have an ethernet wire go from this second MoCa adapter to the router? Would that work for the gigabit speeds? Would I be able to feed a STB off of that coax cable (so that it would actually be split to STB and to second WAN MoCa adapter)? (Is there even such a thing as a "WAN MoCa adapter", or would any MoCa adapter work, assuming 2.0 bonded or higher; or would nothing work?) Does having STBs mean that I need to have something connected to the coax/MoCa terminal on the ONT, or can the STBs get the info they need from the ethernet terminal if adapted to coax/MoCa?

My (additional) confusion is that I think I also need the router connected via coax for the other tv STBs; I would also want the other LAN MoCa adapters I have to work. Would I be able to then do the following ("Set up 2"): same set-up as above, except that in the G3100 router room, it woudl be as follows: coax from wall to splitter, then one end of splitter to coax terminal on router, second end of splitter to another STB, and third end of splitter to the ("WAN") MoCa adapter which woudl then have ethernet wire connected to G3100 router WAN port. (I have a diagram of what I mean, but I can't figure out how to insert it into this post.)

Would this work? I don't know if its possible to mix WAN signal and LAN signal over the same coax (if that is what I'd be doing).

Its also possible that I could have the following set up ("Set up 3"): ONT connected by coax to splitter, then splitter connected to STBs and LAN MoCa adapters (to give ethernet ports); and ONT connected by ethernet to "WAN MoCa Adapter", then dedicated coax to another "WAN MoCa adapter" (coax not connected to any other coax network) then ethernet wire to router. I know the G3100 router is the source of the MoCa 2.5, so I don't know if using WAN MoCa adapters like this means the G3100 won't be able to communicate via MoCa with LAN MoCa adapters. (Again, if there is even such a thing as a WAN Moca adapter.

(In my current setup where all I have is coax going from ONT to router, it seems like I have both WAN and LAN operating on the same coax system, so that gives me hope that I can figure out something that allows gigabit speeds over a "WAN MoCa adapter" while still keeping all STBs and LAN MoCa adapters happy.

(I'm hoping this makes sense, but please let me know if I'm missing anything or if you need more information.)

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: "WAN" MoCa Gigabit on Same Coax as LAN MoCa?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello again. I want to know how have you decided with WiFi upgrade?

There is no such designation for WAN MoCA adapter or LAN MoCA adapter. They all just are ethernet to MoCA adapters on different frequencies. For your situation, you might want to reference this (overcomplicated) post ECB6200 WAN Feed

You need a pair of ECB6200/6250 MoCA adapters on a different frequency than G3100's WAN MoCA and LAN MoCA to avoid interference (but still risks for interference if you have FiOS STBs). A pair of these are costly, around $180 or less.

If you are simply to preserve your WiFi, then just buy another WCB3000N maybe. Or like I said before, install 3 enterprise-grade Access Points to give you complete control over WiFi.

0 Likes
Oopey
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Cang,

Thanks again for your help with all of this.

I have decided to upgrade to gigabit as its actually cheaper than any other speed.  I also got the 3-pack of Eeros during prime day.

It looks like I should be good to go if I get 2 of the ECB6200.  My set-up would then go like this:

1. ONT via ethernet to ECB6200 

2. ECB6200 via coax to 1st output of a splitter

3. ONT via coax to 2nd output of the same splitter (the splitter is now combining these two signals)

4. coax from input of splitter into house to a wall jack

5. coax from wall jack to input of 2nd splitter

6. coax from output of 2nd splitter to router

7. coax from output of 2nd splitter to 2nd ECB6200

8. ethernet from ECB6200 to router.

This way, the ethernet and coax from ONT are being combined over coax wiring in house.  Because the router is attached to both coax and ethernet, everything will be talking to each other. Meaning that if any of the splitters in the above system have additional outputs, I can have them run to STBs or other MoCa adapters in the house (such as my current WCB3000N).

I understand that I will need to access the ECB6200 devices to change their operating frequency to Band D / 1400 MHz.

Did I get this all correct?  Will this all work?  (Because of the Eeros, I would "shut" the wifi on the router and use the wifi from the Eeros only.)

Would this work?  Because the ECB6200 is bonded MoCa 2.0, I'd have gigabit speed running through the coax inside the house.

Thanks in advance again!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your understanding is virtually correct. Due to some users experience ECB6200 interfering with FiOS STBs, I cannot guarantee it will not happen to you.

I just want to make clarification on MoCA LAN hardware. ECB5240M may not work with G3100. Although I have not confirmed this problem, I have heard WCB6200Q failed to connect with G3100 because it is Bonded MoCA 2.0. ECB5240M is too Bonded MoCA 2.0. By the same logic, it may not work despite ECB5240M has other dissimilarities from WCB6200Q. From this forum and Amazon goCoax reviews, there are people getting goCoax 2.5 to work with G3100's MoCA 2.5. At this point, I would recommend goCoax 2.5 over ECB5240M.

0 Likes
Oopey
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Cang,

Thanks for the info.

Is it possible to change the frequency on the goCoax 2.5 adapters?  Any idea how?

Instead of the ECB5240M, I could just get an extra goCoax 2.5 adapter and have it run on the LAN frequency, correct?

So I'd have two goCoax 2.5 adapters running at a higher MHz for WAN, and then I could use a third goCoax 2.5 adapter running at the lower MHz for LAN.  Correct?

Thanks (yet again!).

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think you are misunderstanding. For WAN Ethernet conversion, any two pairs of MoCA is fine as long as they support at least Bonded MoCA 2.0 to deliver 1000Mbps. For your MoCA LAN, use goCoax 2.5 for each endpoint.

0 Likes
Oopey
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Cang,

So it would work with the set-up I mentioned, i.e., two goCoax 2.5 adapters set to higher frequency, and a third goCoax 2.5 adapter set to normal frequency?  The splitter next to the ONT will properly act as a combiner (assuming I have a MoCa capable splitter)?

(Speaking of which - I can't seem to find any MoCa 2.5 splitters.  Do they just not label them that way and I need to look for a certain frequency range?  The one that Verizon just installed says its MoCa 2.0 right on the splitter device itself.)

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok. I see your point of buying three goCoax 2.5.

For MoCA 2.5 splitters, they are just labeled for denoting that they do not filter out MoCA frequencies. MoCA 2.0 should work for MoCA 2.5 as well.

0 Likes