"You think TimeWarner is bad? try Verizon"... and they weren't kidding...
bzapper

After 2 years of being with Time Warner, I've decided to switch to Verizon DSL, saying to myself maybe I'll get faster speed and less disconnects (about 2 a year, with Time Warner, that is).

So I did, signed up for the double play package : DirecTV + 15mbps DSL internet. Service started 8 days ago, now I already VERY deeply regret it. By the way, I'm a software engineer myself and consider myself decently forgiving when it comes to reliability of technology (LOL?) It's really the customer service part that I couldn't stand.

Let's get the good things out of the way so I can concentrate on being angry. The installation was excellent, both DirecTV  and DSL. Smooth, and fast. I was getting solid 14mbps and streaming netflix like no other. Happy, definitely, but not for long... Here's the bad part:

So on Friday 8/5 about 5pm, came home, internet isn't working. Did everything by the book, restart, check connection, etc. Called Verizon, got to a rep, and of course he'd get me to do the dance all over again. Believe it or not I actually did it again as instructed, hoping for miracles? Of course nothing good came out of that and he created a "TICKET". Telling me that a technician will be coming over to take a look the next day Saturday 8/6. I was surprised to say the least. But then he said I'd have to be there, and technician may arrive ANYTIME between 10am?(i forgot) and 7pm, but will give me a call 30 minutes in advance. So now I had to replan my weekend around it, but I still said yes and patiently waited on Saturday - I was a FOOL.

6:30pm on Saturday 8/6 I finally called Verizon again, only to find out my account was "inactive". Just as they were looking up more information, I was disconnected. Called again(now it's 7pm) and they said my account now looks "fine", and would connect me to the local technical support office. After they got hold of this other lady ( now 3 of us on the line), and the first rep was like "alright I'll leave you to the local technical representative, is there anything else i can help you with today" and I was like "no that'd be it", and she went "you have a great day sir, *click*". She hung up, and I got DISCONNECTED TOO! Now I do the jingle a 3rd time, and it's close to 8PM! on a saturday...

Finally I got to talk to someone more responsible, and she's like well, offices are closed, and we are about to as well. I'll make sure someone will contact you on Monday Morning. At this point I'm wayy past the point of angry and would rather go have dinner with my girlfriend. So come back Monday...

Got a call from them saying they "fixed an issue with my account" and "should be working now". I went and checked, restarted, everything, still not working. Now I gotta go to work so I did their online chat support thing, now I'm told ANOTHER technician will be sent over on Tuesday 8/9. I'm just hoping this time it isn't a total lie...

A few suggestions:

1. Use the CALLBACK number! Each of the representatives asked for my callback number, but NONE used it. If for somre reason the call got disconnected, isn't it VERIZON's responsibility to call their customer? hence the name CALLBACK number?

2. SAY ONLY WHAT YOU MEAN! While it would be nice to have a friday support request resolved on a Saturday, I really wouldn't have minded if they sent someone on Monday instead. It's a weekend, we're all working class, I understand. But have your customer wait home on a saturday for A WHOLE DAY and not to call / show? That kind of disregard to your customer will for sure turn them away. You have my word that I will cancel my service ONCE i'm done with this contract.

3. Less Indians please... No offense, and I used to work with many Indians, they're cool and all but just really hard to understand when talking through the phone. And having to repeat the same word THREE times for them to get it only worsens the situation.

This is more a raged rant than anything else. If anything, this has definitely convinced my girlfriend not to switch to Verizon Wireless for iphone 5. We'll stick with AT&T... And also TimeWarner when I get the chance again.

Thought my colleague was joking when they said "You think TimeWarner is bac? try Verizon!" ... I really should've listened. Lesson learnt

0 Likes
Re: "You think TimeWarner is bad? try Verizon"... and they weren't kidding...
nanax31

I have never had timeWarner, but I totally agree with you on Verizon. We spend more time resetting the modem then we do on the internet. I have called several times with problems and get transfered and calls lost everytime. And no they do not use the call back #. Most of the problems have ended up being on their end and I am without internet for 2wks. or better. I get so I despise having to call verizon because you already know what you are going to deal with. There is never a simple solution! Today I spent more than half my lunch break on the phone trying to speak to a supervisor,was told going to place you on hold for a brief moment and needless to say I was still holding when  it was time to return to work! I had asked for a credit adjustment for all the times we spend without the internet which we are paying for they say because I am on a monthly pay which I was not going to do a yr contract with these probems, that they could not do an adjustment. I was told they would send me the newer gateway modem for free and see if this helped with the probem. Received my new free modem on monday, guess what, not suprised but rather angry I received the same exact modem I already had. THANKS, BUT NO THANKS! I have had enough.

If you know of a better internet service with better customer service please let me know. GOOD LUCK!!! 

0 Likes
Re: "You think TimeWarner is bad? try Verizon"... and they weren't kidding...
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@nanax3 wrote:

I have never had timeWarner, but I totally agree with you on Verizon. We spend more time resetting the modem then we do on the internet. I have called several times with problems and get transfered and calls lost everytime. And no they do not use the call back #. Most of the problems have ended up being on their end and I am without internet for 2wks. or better. I get so I despise having to call verizon because you already know what you are going to deal with. There is never a simple solution! Today I spent more than half my lunch break on the phone trying to speak to a supervisor,was told going to place you on hold for a brief moment and needless to say I was still holding when  it was time to return to work! I had asked for a credit adjustment for all the times we spend without the internet which we are paying for they say because I am on a monthly pay which I was not going to do a yr contract with these probems, that they could not do an adjustment. I was told they would send me the newer gateway modem for free and see if this helped with the probem. Received my new free modem on monday, guess what, not suprised but rather angry I received the same exact modem I already had. THANKS, BUT NO THANKS! I have had enough.

If you know of a better internet service with better customer service please let me know. GOOD LUCK!!! 

Make your own topic on this forum. We can help see what can be done to get those disconnects issued squared away. No, I don't do the typical phone support methods. I go into the places phone support will not check off the bat but really should when a user mentions "Disconnect."

0 Likes