"outage" in Fitchburg MA?
defjab42
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have internet and TV. TV is working w/o issue. Router says I'm connected, get IP but can't get to websites (via IP or DNS) On hold for 25 minutes thus far w/ VZN. Any thoughts? Can ping Gateway, unable to ping DNS servers. Connected directly (hard line) to VZN Router. All Lights are normal.

Re: "outage" in Fitchburg MA?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

can you ping outside the gateway like 4.2.2.2    if you can but you can't resolve dns, then they may have a small dns outage, and you can just change your DNS server numbers in the router.     (I took a lot of screenshots from the dns opt out walk through, VZ has on their site)

1. Open a Web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 in the Address bar at the top of the screen.
  2. Enter your router user name and password into the login screen.
  3. Select your time zone in the Time Zone field.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Click My Network.
  6. Click Network Connections.
Network Connection
Click the Edit icon for the Broadband Connection type that has "Connected" in the "Status" column. Don't confuse the Broadband Connection with the Network (Home/Office). In the example below, "Connected" is displayed in the Status column for the "Broadband Connection (Ethernet)," so the Edit icon would be clicked in the Action column of that row.  

(if you are using MOCA then you will be broadband connection Coax)  if you're unsure what you use, then look at the lights on your router.   if Coax WAN is lit, then you are clicking on broadband coax on the below screen shot,  if Ethernet WAN is lit then you're clicking on broadband connection ethernet.  

Broadband Connection Properties
click Settings at the bottom of the screen.
  1. Find the DNS Server area about halfway down the screen.

Figure depicting the DNS server settings
and change them
I use the Old Genuity DNS's and they are work horse dns servers.   
so you can over write that info with 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2
some people like google dns  those are  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
and some people like open dns  208.67.222.222   and   208.67.220.220
  1. Click Apply.
  2. Click Apply to confirm that you won't be able to connect to Verizon while the DNS server information is saved.
  3. Review the updated Network (Home/Office) DNS settings to confirm your new DNS settings have been saved.
  4. Click Apply.
  5. Close the Actiontec MI424WR router setup window.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. After your computer restarts, open a web browser and enter http://www.verizon.com/ to test your new DNS settings. The Verizon home page should display.
hopefully other MA users will chime in and let you know if they are also having problems.     
Tgh_sci_MA
Enthusiast - Level 1

In Stoneham, MA.

Also seeing wicked slow downloads. Typically get 9-12 mps.

Issue intermittent for ~ 1 week

Last night ~1 mps

this AM, 2-4 mps.

On Open DNS servers.

0 Likes
defjab42
Enthusiast - Level 2

My tracert to googles DNS (8.8.8.8) dies on an internal VZN router - 173.76.177.1 - So don't think it's a DNS issue as i can't even do that...thanks tho

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

My buddy at Verizon says that there is an internet outage in both Fitchburg and Hollister? Hollington?,  Anway, there are a couple of outages in the MA area with DATA traffic not being passed. He says they have an Estimated Repair time on 3am 3/10/11.

defjab42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep...the Twitter rep who called me told me the same thing...Holliston CO was pinpointed and tech is onsite. The resolutoin time is generic. Holliston is actually in NH, but it makes sense we'd be routed through that CO, as it is close to use (5 towns over I believe)

Just waiting....and hoping for a billing credit?

slipperyjim
Enthusiast - Level 1

I spoke with the Verizon rep this morning and its a Gateway router failure that is impacting Fitchburg, MA and Holliston, MA.  Don't ask me why they are both using the same router given the 40+ miles difference between towns.  Just lucky I guess.

They gave me that same 3am ETA but indicated that realistically it should be resolved in a few hours.  We'll see.

Good luck.

seachange1
Enthusiast - Level 1

We live in Holliston, MA and my daughter called and told me the internet was down in our town. According to a rep it was not going to be available until tonight sometime. Is this true?

0 Likes
Cadwr

Yeah my internet is down here in Fitchburg, thanks for the info. Hopefully it will be back soon... Gotta study for midterms.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@SB1 wrote:

We live in Holliston, MA and my daughter called and told me the internet was down in our town. According to a rep it was not going to be available until tonight sometime. Is this true?

Thats what is being reported. Holliston and Fichburg are both affected. And the estimated repair time that they are quoting is 3am tomorrow morning. But typically, most outages do not take that long. They usually give the worst case scenario as the estimated repair time.