Receive up to $504 promo credit ($180 w/Welcome Unlimited, $360 w/ 5G Start, or $504 w/5G Do More, 5G Play More, 5G Get More or One Unlimited for iPhone plan (Welcome Unlimited and One Unlimited for iPhone plans can't be mixed w/other Unlimited plans; all lines on the account req'd on respective plans)) when you add a new smartphone line with your own 4G/5G smartphone on an eligible postpaid plan between 2/10/23 and 4/5/23. Promo credit applied over 36 months; promo credits end if eligibility requirements are no longer met.
$699.99 (128 GB only) device payment purchase or full retail purchase w/ new smartphone line on One Unlimited for iPhone (all lines on account req'd on plan), 5G Start, 5G Do More, 5G Play More or 5G Get More plan req'd. Less $699.99 promo credit applied over 36 mos.; promo credit ends if eligibility req’s are no longer met; 0% APR.
We recently got Verizon high speed internet and it's (mostly) been working fine. We have a home network set up on various devices: 2 MacBooks, 3 iPhones, 1 iPad. The WiFi has been perfect on the smartphones and tablets, but there are two ongoing issues on the MacBooks:
1) on my laptop, the desktop Mail program (Mac Mail), which previously synced beautifully, has to be restarted each time to download email. If I don't restart, there is a little exclamation point thingy on the left, and I get a message saying something to do with cannot find imap.gmail something something. This is a consistent problem.
2) on my wife's laptop, Mail works fine, but (and this is odd) google does not. She cannot access google.com at all, unless she restarts her machine. Google doesn't work on either Safari or Firefox, but other google sites (such as google maps) work fine. We have tried clearing the cache but no change.
For both these problems we have tried restarting the modem/router but also no change. And as I say the internet works great on all other devices, it's just these funny little issues.
Any advice would be appreciated, and please not too much tech speak I am a novice.
Welcom to the forum
2. First reset the DNS cache https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5343 the try google.com, if the error persists;
please try this link for google http://22.214.171.124/ and let us know the results and any error
1. For Mac Mail you may need to set it up again with the newest settings http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/85...#
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply.
Issue 1: seems to have fixed the email BUT I was trying to set up Gmail to sync w/ Mac Mail not my Verizon email. But so far it seems ok. I just deleted my gmail account and then re entered it.
Issue 2: emptying the DNS cache didn't make any difference, but using the 74... number did work. So if google loads using the IP address but not by typing in google.com what does this mean?
Same error issues now happening with Mac Mail: "cannot connect to imap.gmail.com"
I've tried the following workarounds:
Quitting Mail and restarting: this works, but is a pain in the butt as you have to do it every time
Entering imap.googlemail.com instead of imap.gmail.com: did not work
Deleting and then re-adding the account: as above, only worked temporarily
Glad to help. For issue 2 I would try a differnet DNS server. First login to your modem, then navigate to the DNS servers dialog and change primary to 126.96.36.199 & secondary to 188.8.131.52 ...
If you need more details there may be a support page on this site on how to login. IF you need further help with this please list your modem Manu. and model.
For issue 1, I am not a MAC guy but I will try to find something useful.
Ok. I'll try that. Not sure exactly how to 'log in' to the modem though.
I believe the router is this model
Actiontec® GT784WN-01 Wireless-N DSL Modem/Router
And an update: clearly both issues are laptop wide: on my wife's laptop google doesn't work on ANY browser, while my Mail issues affect both gmail and iCloud (the @me.com address).
It would be a good idea to do a reset before changing anything on the the modem ... this is for a very similar modem
AND you will lose any custom settings.
To reset your Actiontec GT784WNV to factory default settings:
To change the DNS servers login as above
1. Open the modem's admin page by browsing to its address (usually [...] but yours could be different)
2. Click on Advanced Setup icon
3. Click on WAN IP Settings link
4. In section called "5. Select DNS Type": Select "Static DNS" and enter the addresses of Google's DNS servers (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11) in the 2 boxes provided. There are other DNS servers you can use, too
You are welcome!
So the reset SEEMS to have fixed the Mail issue. Will keep you posted.
BUT did not fix the google issue on my wife's laptop. Pretty weird. Changing the DNS made no difference
Another update: modem reset has NOT fixed the Mail issue.