router isn't supporting google chromecast
usgman

Google Guy sent me this msg.  ??

We’re sorry to hear you’re having trouble setting up your Chromecast. We ask that you first check our Chromecast Router Compatibility page here for your specific router: https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/3477832.

If your router is not on that list, please try the additional troubleshooting steps below. If you are unfamiliar with your specific router settings or unsure of how to change your settings, please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for assistance.

Please note:
2.4 GHz Network support only: Chromecast only displays 2.4GHz networks as Wi-Fi options in the setup app. 5GHz networks are not compatible with Chromecast and will not be listed. Please double check that your router supports a 2.4 GHz network. If you are using a dual band router, please ensure that you are connecting to the 2.4 GHz network.

Hidden Networks: If the network you want to connect to is hidden (a network that is set not to broadcast its name), you'll need to manually input the network's name and password. This can be done by selecting ‘Other’ in the drop down list of network selection. After selecting ‘Other’, you have the option to manually input your network SSID and password.

MAC Address Filtering: If your router has MAC address filtering enabled, you'll need to add the MAC address of your Chromecast to the list of filtered devices. The MAC address of your Chromecast is listed at the bottom of the Chromecast setup app.

Additionally, Chromecast requires that your Wi-Fi network and router settings are configured to allow devices to communicate with one another. Please check the following configurations on your router. Please note that all routers are different, so each setting may or may not be applicable to your particular router. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact your ISP or router manufacturer:

AP/Client Isolation: Chromecast cannot communicate with your router if you have AP/Client isolation enabled.
-DISABLE AP Isolation/Client Isolation on your Wi-Fi router.

Virtual Private Networks or Proxy Servers: Chromecast cannot communicate with your router or computer if any Virtual Private Networks or Proxy servers are turned on.
-DISCONNECT or DISABLE any Virtual Private Networks (VPN) or proxy servers, if applicable, on both your router and your computer.

UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) or Multicast: Your router will not be able to ‘discover or see’ your Chromecast on your WiFi network if you have UPnP or Multicast disabled.
-ENABLE UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), also known as Multicast, on your router.

IGMP (Internet Group Management Protocol): Chromecast will not be able to communicate with your router if you have IGMP disabled on your router OR IGMP Proxy enabled on your router.
-ENABLE IGMP on your router.
-DISABLE IGMP Proxy on your router.

Please keep in mind that resetting or making changes to your router settings may have unintended consequences. If you have questions or concerns, please consult your router manufacturer or ISP before making any changes.

If there is anything further I can assist you with, please feel free to reply directly to this email or visit our help center at:

Sincerely,

Brandon
The Google Support Team

at google support sentg me this msg.

0 Likes
Re: router isn't supporting google chromecast
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

From what I understand, you can't connect a Chromecast to your router, correct?

To start, what router and/or modem are you using? Make and model should be all I need.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@vhalo wrote:

Google Guy sent me this msg.  ??

Brandon
The Google Support Team

at google support sentg me this msg.

What problem were you having that he sent you that message?

After you connected the chromecast to one of your TV's hdmi ports do you see the setup screen when you select that port as the input?

If not is power turned on to the chromecast device - either connect it to a usb port or connect the power block to a 110v outlet and the other end to the chromecast device.

The blue light should come on an the setup screen should appear

You then need to perform setup from some kind of wifi device, phone, laptop, ipad etc.

on the wifi device access the url chromecast.com/setup

it should say looking for device, does it find it?

If you have multiple wifi networks you will probably need to make sure that your wifi device and the chomeast device are contacting the same network

the chromeast device should show you a code on the tv screen that matches a code that appears on your wifi device

if it's the same then name the device

it should then prompt you for a password for the ssid

enter that and it's done

If you are not seeing the setup screen on the tv try resetting the chromecast to factory default

press and hold the button next to the usb in port on the end of the device while it is powered - the power light should go from blue to red and then after a while back to a steady blue. at which point it should be in setup mode again.

I normally run mine on wireless-n on my own router connected behind the Verizon router - I fgured I might get better throughput.

However just to try it in response to your question I reset it and connected it via my ancient Westell 9100em wireles-g fios router.  It connects with no issues adn appears to stream ok still

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Brandon

You may want to read this thread as it appears to address issues with Chromecast and the Actiontec routers though as you apparently are dsl it might be of no use to you.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Chromecast-on-FIOS/td-p/605865

0 Likes