scheduled install,why is speed so low?
ssap1

i am scheduled for dry loop enhanced dls install today. i am 1.6 KM from the switch (following the street and passing past the local network box) yet am told 7 mpbs down is the max speed, which seems too slow being that close. 

The tables I am looking at indicate that ADSL2/2+ can reach 19.7 Mbps at the distance.

comments?

0 Likes
Re: scheduled install,why is speed so low?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not all equipment or line cards can support the >7.1Mbps speeds. Most remote terminals, for example are old enough to where ADSL2 line cards are not available. The Litespan 2000 is an example. While these quality for 7.1Mbps speeds, the Fiber going to these units is OC-3 (155Mbps symmetrical) and no ADSL2 cards are present. If the gear is even older, such as a Catena CNX-5 (replacement drop-in for the Lucent SLC-5) then the speeds are limited to 3Mbps due to capacity concerns (45Mbps T3 circuit).

Some newer remote terminals are equipped with ADSL2, but it is a crap shoot as to whether or not Verizon is using the full capabilities of the remotes, or if they are using ADSL2 for the range and stability adjustments. These could be fed by anything from T1 circuits (1.5Mbps each) to OC-12 (622Mbps) Fiber.

Speeds higher than 7.1Mbps are more probable when out of a central office or a hut, where bandwidth is often more plentiful and the gear is easily upgraded.

If you have installed your service already, are you seeing at least 7.1Mbps or are you getting less than that?

0 Likes
ssap1

download speed wwas 5888 (?) at install, has gone up to 7840 Kbps after a few days, not sure when that happened but now is stable.

gateway status indicates 26 db atenuation and 14 db noise, putting these numbers into a dsl speeed estimator (coolwebhome) i am told that a adsl2 connection could sustain a 10344 to- 11478 Kbps.

the installer said we are about 6000 feet from the switch building (very large two story building), he also said he would put in a request for the card to be changed to adsl2 as he expected that a substaintial improvement could be had.

any advice on how to pursue the card upgrade?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just submit a tech support request, or indicate you are interested in receiving more than 7.1Mbps to them, but cannot as equipment must be swapped on Verizon's end. This might take a few tries.

0 Likes
ssap1

Thanks. How do i submit this type of request?

CAn i do so by email ?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just call or chat, and indicate what you want them to do. Tech support can help you out here, as billing should not need to get involved in this at all.

0 Likes
ssap1

The verizon people at HSI chat say my "phone number" and my order number are for a FIOS line.

They transfered me to FIOS chat, twice before I gave up.

I wonder what the bill will look like.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless you're in a FiOS area, and you somehow managed to get DSL installed with a Fiber-provided landline, they are either confused or the database is screwed up. My line used to show up as a FiOS connection even though I know that the FiOS service is not present here, and probably will not be for the foreseeable future. That eventually "fixed itself." Nothing happed with the price.

0 Likes