so how do i set up home wireless network?
camelbeat11

This has probably been asked and answered dozens of times before, but I haven't found a good, concise, and simple response.

I have Verizon HSI on one home computer using a Westell 6100. We've added a laptop and I would like a wireless network so we can use the laptop in other parts of our home. I think we need a router and wi-fi service. But where do I go from here?

How do we get the devices and service? Do I get a router from Verizon? Or should I go elsewhere, and if I do, what am I looking for? Do I order the wireless service before I get a router? Where do I order the wireless service? Are my questions even making sense?

Most of the info I found on the Verizon website hasn't been helpful.

Thank you for any general guidance you can offer.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: so how do i set up home wireless network?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can purchase a WiFi router from any of a number of retail and online stores.  The router will provide WiFi for your home; there is no "WiFI service" to purchase.

Routers range in cost from tens of dollars to a couple of hundred dollars.  The difference is speed, range and overall performance.  How much you spend really depends on what your needs are.

You'll also want to know what kind of WiFi card is in your computer.  For example, if your computer is 802.11.b/g/n capable, you don't need to by a more expensive/faster 802.11ac router unless you have plans to upgrade your computer.

If you have a friend or family member who knows about technology, they should be able to help you learn about routers and figure out what is appropriate for your home.  You might be able to find a helpful techie at a store.

Assuming you have a farily typical mid-range laptop and maybe a few other devices like tablets or phones to connect to WiFi, a decent 802.11b/g/n router should work well for you.  Linksys, Netgear and D-Link are well respected brands.

This looks to be a good article to help:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/wireless-routers/buying-guide.htm

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can purchase a WiFi router from any of a number of retail and online stores.  The router will provide WiFi for your home; there is no "WiFI service" to purchase.

Routers range in cost from tens of dollars to a couple of hundred dollars.  The difference is speed, range and overall performance.  How much you spend really depends on what your needs are.

You'll also want to know what kind of WiFi card is in your computer.  For example, if your computer is 802.11.b/g/n capable, you don't need to by a more expensive/faster 802.11ac router unless you have plans to upgrade your computer.

If you have a friend or family member who knows about technology, they should be able to help you learn about routers and figure out what is appropriate for your home.  You might be able to find a helpful techie at a store.

Assuming you have a farily typical mid-range laptop and maybe a few other devices like tablets or phones to connect to WiFi, a decent 802.11b/g/n router should work well for you.  Linksys, Netgear and D-Link are well respected brands.

This looks to be a good article to help:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/wireless-routers/buying-guide.htm

Good Luck.

0 Likes
camelbeat11

thank you! this is very helpful.

0 Likes