speed drop
oldaarpy62

My speed drops from the modem (Westell 6100) to my computer by .420Mbs. Is this normal? Stopped all hidden processes, etc., so I figure this an accurate figure. Also, why is the guy down the road (farther from the tower) getting a solid 3.2 while I get 2.5? We both have the same 'plan'.

0 Likes
Re: speed drop
oldaarpy62

thought I'd add some spec--

Downstream                             Upstream

DSL speed  (Kb/s)       2944                                       192

Margin (dB)          12.0                                         10.0

Line Attenuation  (dB)   63.5                               31.5

Transmit Power (dBm)  19.0                              11.7

Thanks!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

How far away is that other person from you? Those statistics are showing either a really long line for the Enhanced package or are showing a line in bad shape. You might want to try taking your modem to your NID and connecting the modem to the test jack to see if you can get a better speed if possible. An extension cable and a laptop will come in handy for this test.

See this FAQ on what a NID is. It should be self explanitory how to connect something to it if it's the newer ones with the jacks on them: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317 . The newer NIDs vary in how you'll get access to the test jack but often they will disconnect the home wiring when you open the plastic door covering them, when you connect a device to the jack, or when you disconnect the cable that is connected into the NID's test jack.

0 Likes
oldaarpy62

The neighbor is about 600 Ft farther towards the end of the line with another neighbor 600 ft past him who is at the end. I know this because the closer neighbor just had Verizon out due to speed trouble (much slower than me). I'm a retiree and live semi-rural so I have little chance of borrrowing  laptop.

I'll try to round one up.

I can tell you that the line in use by my dsl seems to be dedicated as it runs direct from the NID to the jack. My printer/fax is also on this line and uses the filter Verizon sent me as do all other. All other services are on a second line from the NID (2 pnones/answering machine).

I'm assuming the main line is good so the trouble has to be my inside lines or the line from the pole in (?) The house was built in 1968 so my wiring maybe at fault.

Thanks, Aarpy

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When Verizon installed the DSL Service from the sounds of things they installed a splitter in or after the NID that sends the DSL signal only to the jack that has your DSL Service on it, correct?

You may want to try hooking your modem up to the NID to see if you can pull some better statistics. If it does then we've pretty much isolated it to the inside wiring. If not, it can be something a Verizon can come out and check. But to be sure, the devices on the second line aren't by any chance attached to the main line in any way, shape or form correct?

0 Likes