speed test issues
ivan215

imageimageHello. I wanted to know is this is normal or should I contact costumer service. I pay for gigabit internet and occasionally do speed test to check my service. My "Device" speed test were always in the hundreds and this past week or so they have always been under 100. I see the speeds I pay for in the "router" speed test but not in "device" speed tests. I checks multiple devices and none go over 100. I have had this service for over a year and always gave me high readings on device tests. The test itself says GOOD, my speeds are good but how can it since it has dropped literally by hundreds? Is it normal or should I call for assistance?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: speed test issues
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

When speeds are just under 100Mbps, that is usually due to an Ethernet link operating at 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps.  Since the router speed test is good, this tells me the Ethernet link between the ONT and router is fine.  The results point to an issue between the router and the device.  If you tested on an Ethernet connected device and if you know how to determine the Ethernet link speed, check if it's running at 1Gbps or 100Mbps.  The link speed can be checked from both the router and device; the method varies depending on the equipment involved but may be as simple as looking at status lights.

If the link is running at 100Mbps, try reseating connectors and/or swapping the Ethernet cable.  That fixes about 99% of issues like this.

If you tested on a WiFi connected device, then we know it's not an Ethernet cable problem.  Try testing from an Ethernet connected device.  Also try with the WiFi device close to the router.

If you've only tested on one device, test on multiple devices to determine if it's all devices.

To go further, it may be helpful to know your router model and device model.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The posted pictures will appear once they are approved by a Moderator.

I use the Speedtest app to check my service. I'm curious to see what sort of results would be returned using the app. šŸ¤”

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Did you do this test by wireless or wired?

#2 What NIC do you have in your computer? As not all NICs support higher speeds than 100 Mbps.

#3 When you did the test, you were sure that your network was silent / quiet? The more users on and using the network, the slower your speed will appear on your device.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

When speeds are just under 100Mbps, that is usually due to an Ethernet link operating at 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps.  Since the router speed test is good, this tells me the Ethernet link between the ONT and router is fine.  The results point to an issue between the router and the device.  If you tested on an Ethernet connected device and if you know how to determine the Ethernet link speed, check if it's running at 1Gbps or 100Mbps.  The link speed can be checked from both the router and device; the method varies depending on the equipment involved but may be as simple as looking at status lights.

If the link is running at 100Mbps, try reseating connectors and/or swapping the Ethernet cable.  That fixes about 99% of issues like this.

If you tested on a WiFi connected device, then we know it's not an Ethernet cable problem.  Try testing from an Ethernet connected device.  Also try with the WiFi device close to the router.

If you've only tested on one device, test on multiple devices to determine if it's all devices.

To go further, it may be helpful to know your router model and device model.