speed
fustrated2

Why has my speed dropped from 1184/448 to 864/160 for the past few days?  Also at times only have a 32 download speed and frequently have to restart 6100G modem.

0 Likes
Re: speed
KailaS

I am having a similar problem. For over two weeks, I either lose Internet or have the slowest download speeds.  This morning was especially bad and then suddenly, NOTHING. An hour later, everything has been running well. Did they upgrade?  Could they not have warned us during this two-plus week period?  (I am an online student. What a pain this has been.)

Anyway, I am having new service--from another company--set up next week.  I have been pleased with Verizon except this month.  Calls got me nowhere. I just wish someone had been honest. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To all who need help

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I see

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To the OP only, since you said what brand and model your modem is...

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

a) If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

b) If using the Red and Black Firmware: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

c) Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

d) If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@fustrated2 wrote:

Why has my speed dropped from 1184/448 to 864/160 for the past few days?  Also at times only have a 32 download speed and frequently have to restart 6100G modem.

It sounds like your line speed was turned down for some reason, likely due to poor signal quality. If you're ever seeing a speed of 32kbps in the modem for either download, upload, or both, you've got a nasty line issue that needs to be corrected before your speed can be turned up. The speed as reported by the modem should never change.

Please follow dslr's instructions above, and provide the Transceiver Statistics from the modem, if you're able to. From that point we'll likely have you test the modem at your NID, so we can identify if the problem appears to be inside or outside.

0 Likes