two verizon routers
brianm01221

I have seen people wanting to daisy-chain two routers, but I am doing it a little differently.

My router was recently replaced because the wireless portion went out. I want to set up a media server in my office, where currently there is only wireless connectivity. However, I do have acoax connection. Can I set up my second router to provide wired-LAN access, using the coax connection?

So, I suspect that I can set up my second router and have a LAN in my office, but I have some questions about how to so this. I presume I would have to assign each router a separate IP pool. But before I even start setting that up, and having to endure constant questions about when the internet is coming back on, I need to know if this is even possible? Will the ONT even allow two gateways on the network? Will I have to spilt the IP pool, or will they be treated as two separate LANs? Does verizon have some provisioning or configuration to do to allow this?

0 Likes
Re: two verizon routers
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Yes, it's possible.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

DHCP server in the second router is disabled, so there is only one DHCP pool.

The second Actiontec serves as a MOCA LAN bridge.  It does not have it's own WAN connection.

0 Likes
brianm01221

It doesn't work. It still seems to be tryin to be the gateway. DNS lookup also doesn't seem to work.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

If the secondary router (the one being used as the MOCA bridge) is trying to be the gateway, then then you did not properly disable the WAN side of the router as documented in the instructions.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the instructions provided are good, but if you are having trouble with them, try these 

Configure MI424WR as a LAN MoCA Bridge - Actiontec

you will make these changes only in the 2nd router, the first one will remain configured as is. 

0 Likes