verizon just lies
bob1201
Enthusiast - Level 2

i've been paying for a 7.1MB connection for about 3 years now;NOT ONCE HAVE I SEEN THIS SPEED(best i got once was 5.8Mb thru speedtest.net(sent to China with a rating of "B";when sent to LA it goes down,with a rating of "C" )"A or B" ratings are the best,anything below causes connection issues with gameservers 

Right before the strike i called to report issues,NOTHING BUT A RUN AROUND!!!!

Was told after strike my issue has been resolved,YET it is still going on,WAS also told a tech would be coming to the house to check outside lines,being they were here twice before for the SAME issue and all lines with-in the house are brand new and are of a better grade then a residential normally has(being bussiness grade)

copy and post right from modem page on my speeds:(i may not be to smart on this stuff but i know the difference between MB and KB.)

Speed(Down/Up)

7645 Kbps / 863 Kbps

The reason for all this is simple,this connection is used 90% of the time for gaming,YET MY NAT CONNECTION IS STILL MODDERATE(AND I NEED "OPEN")YES,ports are forwarded to the gaming device(console).

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: verizon just lies
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you explain how your modem and router are connected? You might be running in a Double NAT configuration if you are getting Moderate NAT despite Port Forwarding (Disabling UPnP is also a start).

If you can, provide a speed test to the closest server or two to you. Do the slow speeds occur regardless of what time of the day it is, or is this only during the night time hours? Also, provide a pingtest result from pingtest.net for us to see as well.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you explain how your modem and router are connected? You might be running in a Double NAT configuration if you are getting Moderate NAT despite Port Forwarding (Disabling UPnP is also a start).

If you can, provide a speed test to the closest server or two to you. Do the slow speeds occur regardless of what time of the day it is, or is this only during the night time hours? Also, provide a pingtest result from pingtest.net for us to see as well.

bob1201
Enthusiast - Level 2

i got the open NAT issue fixed figured it out blindly.(as you stated disable UPnP)

ping test is at all times;well from this time til like noon. i know traffic is higher after 3:00pm.

i'm just lost as to why i get a low grade within the U.S.A. compared to China or London;if anything it should be the otherway around.

My biggest concern was the NAT not being OPEN;now gameserver says my NAT is OPEN.

thanks for your help, as VERIZONS' IT people are just morons,or they just wanted me to pay for them to do something that should have been done when i signed up for their service,being i told them what i was going to be using it for MOSTLY.

Tankerman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not completly sure what devises your using, but if your trying to get those speeds with wifi, forget about it! You have to be hard wired to get your best speeds. But if you are using wifi, you have to sync the devise, meaning, your router will only see that devise and nothing else, this too will increase speed just alittle.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, you need to keep in mind, first of all those speedtest.net results are skewed heavily by Cable connections with PowerBoost. Many clean running Cable connections boost up to 30Mbps and the result is recorded as such. Those on DOCSIS 3.0 can boost up to some odd number, some people seeing 150Mbps+ on PowerBoost (yeah, at speeds like that PowerBoost dies off almost immediately but Flash tests hate faster connections). Then you're also competing with those who have DSL running at 10-15Mbps consistently, those who have Municipal Fiber that runs at 100Mbps-1Gbps, those who are testing from a University that has stupidly fast connectivity, those who test from a company with stupidly fast Internet, and of course, FiOS users. Then you have these new 3.5G connections coming online getting speeds of 40Mbps adding to the results. Then of course thare are those Jokers on YouTube who say they get 10Gbps back on a speed test because they are caching the speed test data in a RAMDisk (though they always say it was a joke in the video). Then you've got people running speed tests from Datacenters with multiple POPs/Transit Providers on a server doing 100Mbps-1Gbps to a nearby datacenter or to a server internal to the Datacenter, further skewing results.

So in the big picture, your DSL line doesn't seem as big. Now let's add the world into the mix. You still have much of the above, however you are seeing European countries make the move to higher speeds using ADSL2+, VDSL2, EuroDOCSIS, and in some cases limited fiber. You've got companies like TeliaSonera giving everyone 100Mbps connections via Fiber for what would be $20 USD, you've got companies like BT giving people 40Mbps/10Mbps over VDSL2, and Cable companies such as Virgin Media giving people 100Mbps/5Mbps connections over EuroDOCSIS 3.0. Then of course, you have those on ADSL2+ who are getting 10-20Mbps on DSL.

Now let's add Asia. Add Japan and South Korea to the mix, where you can get Gigabit speeds for $30 USD if you're fortunate enough to have Fiber right to your unit. But even then, you could get 100Mbps service for dirt cheap over VDSL2, which is delivered via Fiber if you are unable to get Fiber directly. China is the same way, where Hong Kong (I believe) has Fiber-based ISPs destroying the competition with speeds.

Now add Australia. Sure, they have those crappy Data caps and their cheap telephone companies that refuse to build out more backhaul to the mainland, but they are also seeing speeds similar to Europe now over Cable modem and DSL services.

So yeah, your 7Mbps line becomes quite small in the big picture. My 1Mbps line gets an F- all day long, however my web server on Gigabit gets an A+ day and night.

If you still want me to see what we can do to ensure what you are getting is what you should get, provide us a speed test during morning and peak hours.

Re: Verizon just lies
bob1201
Enthusiast - Level 2

1st run(100 miles from me,within US.)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1500793799.png

2nd run(2450 miles away from me,WITHIN US.)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1500795738.png

3RD RUN(9050 miles away,furthest one I could find outside of the US.)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1500798507.png

even that I was able to blindly find out how to open my NAT.

This is where Verizon is wrong at; NO WAY should I have to pay them more money to set-up my modem/router to have a open NAT($40.00 for 1 time; or $15.00 a month)

The biggest reason I state Verizon lies is for months I was/STILL getting ISP drops(7-10 TIMES A DAY sometimes within an hour time frame); about 2 months ago I got sick of it(BEFORE THEY WENT ON STRIKE)They stated something is wrong and will look into it,got a phone call (after strike)issue fixed,yet ISP is still dropping me(yes bill is always paid on time in full)

When it comes to making sure my NAT remains OPEN(OR SHOULD SAY TO OPEN MY NAT) I shouldn't have to pay more money it should be included with my service.

Now back to speedtest.net NOWHERE of all the spots to test from or to is there ONE Verizon servers????(besides no-one signing up to be a test server)BUT VERIZON SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST ONE.

1ST RUN pingtest(only 50miles from me) 1ST time it took forever was a F rating,BUT SAME PING NUMBER(re-ran it got a faster result)

http://www.pingtest.net/result/47471293.png

2nd run(to the U.K QUICK RESULTS THIS TIME,???)

http://www.pingtest.net/result/47471368.png

3RD RUN(to L.A. also a fast result)

http://www.pingtest.net/result/47471240.png

4TH run furthest one i could find from me

http://www.pingtest.net/result/47471474.png

Now before i moved i had cable at 12Mbs(THE FASTEST ONE THEY PROVIDED)

I moved to a new town with a different cable company(3Mbs is their fastest at a crazy price)saddest part is i live 2 miles from my old cable company,but being cable companies are aloud to lock down certain areas (being you can only get service from whoever is in that spot,i can't get my old service)CABLE IS WAY BETTER,NOT ONCE WAS I DROPPED,UNLESS A CABLE LINE WENT DOWN)DSL STILL ISN'T A CONSENT STREAM,and for about 4 yrs. they been spouting about FIOS coming soon to my area; hate to know what they would mean by SOON.Soon to me would mean with-in a year at most.

Verizon NEEDS  to come up with package built for GAMERS(CONSOLES)WHICH DEMAND AN OPEN NAT AND LOW PINGS WITH FASTER UP/DOWN LOAD SPEEDS(which would be FIOS 7.1Mbs up to 15Mbs,and someone paying for this should NEVER GO BELOW 9.5Mbs FOR ANY REASON,BESIDES WEATHER ISSUES ) 

bob1201
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Tankerman2 wrote:

I'm not completly sure what devises your using, but if your trying to get those speeds with wifi, forget about it! You have to be hard wired to get your best speeds. But if you are using wifi, you have to sync the devise, meaning, your router will only see that devise and nothing else, this too will increase speed just alittle.

ALL MY DEVICES ARE WIRED,AND WHEN I GO ONTO THE CONSOLE TO GAME, BOTH PC'S ARE UNPLUGGED FROM MODEM/ROUTER.So the only device using broadband is the gaming console(does it really matter what console i'm using )

AND MY WIFI ON THE MODEM/ROUTER IS TURNED OFF,NO PIGGY BACKING ON MY LINE.

Sorry about the caps.

Like i said in another post (when i had 12Mbs CABLE,at a lower price(almost $10.00 a month lower) then what i'm currently paying for DSL(at a slower speed 7.1Mbs and the Max i get is 6.8Mbs,with cable it NEVER WENT BELOW WHAT I WAS PAYING FOR 12Mbs) And with cable i didn't need to pay for IT to set-up my NAT,just had to call them and tell them what i need done and it was done at no extra charge 24/7

bob1201
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

If you can't tell i'm a earily bird,i found gaming speeds better from 2am-5am to about NOON(on the weekends)

week days(now with school in i can go to about 3pm. BUT now with NAT open i get just alittle less lag then before and the ISP dropping seems to have been less,(TIME WILL TELL,AS I JUST GOT NAT OPEN) yes i do know i'll get some lag but being dropped from game servers due to ISP issues shouldn't be happening.

Wouldn't care as much if i wasn't in torney's during the time,but when this happens i lose money when ISP drops me or my speed goes down too far and game servers drop me. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm a PC gamer if you haven't noticed already from some of my other posts, but I have had gaming issues for a while as it is. What I see is a delay in shots and other movements being registered which is being caused on the route from me to the server and of course, I often times wind up fragged before I even manage to register a shot. According to ICSI Netalyzer I seem to have a lot of downstream and upstream buffering, which seems to be on Verizon's end since I get very similar results on other connections and other PCs. Naturally, the upstream has twice as much buffering as the downstream does, and under full line use I am getting 1,800ms downstream and 3,800ms upstream (it's been known that Netalyzer measures this too low) however ICMP pings and gaming data doesn't seem that badly delayed. You can see the lagging issue I have just by looking at my YouTube videos, specially my most recent Team Fortres 2 upload with how jerky everything looks (looks almost like low framerate, which it was not). I have someone looking into it, or hopefully looking into it so I'm still waiting on some word back as to what the deal is. The problem isn't with my network though since the same signs appear whether I have QoS on or off, if I'm using Linux or Windows, or if I swap in my retired Linksys router with stock firmware instead of my current DD-WRT ActionTec MI424WR. What is noteworthy, is to point out my second DSL line, one with a smaller company named Frontier does not see the downstream buffering issue when maxing the download out. It does see upstream buffering, but that is more or less due to PC > Router buffering due to the low uplink speeds. Cable connections in my area also do not see Downstream buffering due to PowerBoost. Some do not see upstream buffering. FiOS connections, I haven't run Netalyzer on one in my area yet.

Your speeds are spot on as to where they should be for 7.1Mbps, and jitter is at acceptable levels even for overseas communications. No problems there. Now as for the drops you see, I take it they occur only while you're gaming or do they also take place when you have downloads running for an extended amount of time? A DSL connection should never drop just like *that* if the line is in good shape. Cable modem service can suffer from similar issues if there's noise on the plant or you're running a modem through too many splitters (too much attenuation), but like you've pointed out, it tends to fare a lot better despite the weaknesses.

0 Likes
Hschmidt10

My previous Verizon DSL plan was .5-1 Mbps, but I never got faster than .7 Mbps. It didn't matter what time of day. A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my account and because of the bundle package, and I am now signed up for 1-3 Mbps, (although I can't understand why the HUGE range). I understand that because of internet traffic the speed can increase/decrease but as much as 2 Mbps? Now that I have a 1-3 Mbps package I have never had a download speed above 1.3 Mbps. This was tested on numerous speed test site including Verizon's. It doesn't matter the time of day.

It is only obvious that Verizon, although stating that the range is between 1-3 Mbps or .5-1 Mbps they will always dial down the connection speed to the lower end of the range. In my case I should have been receiving up to 1 Mbps on my old plan, which I never received. On my new plan I am getting only .2 Mbps more for a faster speed plan for a higher price.

Bottom line, if your ISP can control the range of your speed, .5-1, 1-3 Mbps, etc. then they can choose any range (not withstanding internet traffic). If you are paying for up to 3 Mbps then most of your usage should be up to 3 Mbps and a bit lower due to traffic. It is nearly impossible to always have download speeds less than 1.3 Mbps due to traffic or 1.7 Mbps slower than your highest range. If that were possible then I would have never had internet usage on my old plan of .5-1 Mbps because of a constant reduction of 1.7 Mbps due to internet traffic.

0 Likes