verizons high speed internet
granny
Enthusiast - Level 2

What's the best speed(DSL) with Verizon,without being annoyed with slowness?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: verizons high speed internet
granny
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

What speed did you have prior to this and how come it cost $15 more? I thought the lower the speed,the cheaper(as is the reason I was trying to find out about the lower speed,because of costs).

I've been hesitant to change to a lower speed because I always remember when I first got on the computer,I had AOL and I can remember sitting there waiting for pages to download . I don't think I could get use to a lower speed,once you've had the higher one.

Sorry your having trouble with your upgrade. So far,(for 7 years)I have always had satisfaction with Verizons customer support,as when my computer goes down or gets real slow but I've never upgraded or downgraded. Guess your right,best to stay where I am.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since there are only two speed packages, it would be the faster of the two packages. There is no guarantee you will be able to achieve the speeds that package offers, but if your line is in good condition, and perhaps if your area is upgraded you'll see speeds ranging from 3Mbps all the way up to 15Mbps on the download. Longer lines will give you 1.5Mbps, and if your line is long enough, you'll be stuck with the slower of the two pages at 1Mbps or lower. It depends on your taste of what "slow" is I suppose. It would be great to see your line hitting 7Mbps+ though.

0 Likes
granny
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply! I understand what you mean about the speeds and  being able to achieve them in certain areas and under certain conditions. There use to be an option of three speeds. Low,medium and fastest. I always had the medium speed,which was 1.5-3 MBPS. It cost $29.99. I called this year to renew it (as I have for the last 7 years). The $29.99 wasn't available anymore and your right,looks like there is only two speeds now. The low speed is $24.99 and the one I have now is $34.99 for a year. I'm really use to the speed I have now but as I stated,I was wondering about the lower speed because of costs. I do wonder how they can charge these prices and raise them,when we're not even sure if we're getting the speeds we think we are.

unhappier1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The best speed is what ever you have right now. I upgraded to "high speed internet" just a few days ago and have been extremely unhappy from day one. Although I paid $15 more for slower speed internet, I did not experience any of the trouble that I have been plagued with since "upgrading".

1. I have been in contact with "tech support" at least 20 times

2. I have been called by "senior techs" only to find out they were in the wrong part of the company

3. they transferred me to the wrong department at least 5 times

4. my internet connection has dropped or slowed down to a slower speed

My recommendation is to stay where you are unless you must.

0 Likes
granny
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

What speed did you have prior to this and how come it cost $15 more? I thought the lower the speed,the cheaper(as is the reason I was trying to find out about the lower speed,because of costs).

I've been hesitant to change to a lower speed because I always remember when I first got on the computer,I had AOL and I can remember sitting there waiting for pages to download . I don't think I could get use to a lower speed,once you've had the higher one.

Sorry your having trouble with your upgrade. So far,(for 7 years)I have always had satisfaction with Verizons customer support,as when my computer goes down or gets real slow but I've never upgraded or downgraded. Guess your right,best to stay where I am.

0 Likes
unhappier1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

the slower speed was up to 1 Mb, but it was an older package that's why the price was higher.

when you first got your computer could it be possible that you were on dial up? I remember that was "really" slow, so when I got my first modem I was sooooo excited. Today, I am ready to cancel and go to another carrier.

It's been 2 weeks and I still cannot use my voip phone, my wireless connection drops almost every day, tech support has no real knowledge and it's been very frustrating because I have not heard from anyone with the expertise to fix these minor problems.

Don't upgrade. Like the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke........." you know the rest.

0 Likes
hansphil

without having made any changes to my system, computer settings, or usage, I have noticed in recent weeks that my DSL connection has slowed down considerably. Any reason for that? has anyone else made the same experience?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@hansphil wrote:

without having made any changes to my system, computer settings, or usage, I have noticed in recent weeks that my DSL connection has slowed down considerably. Any reason for that? has anyone else made the same experience?

#1 What is the brand and model of the modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of the router?

Re: Verizon high speed internet - Slow Speed
wheretoturnnext

I have contacted the company several times via telephone and chat to Verizon support for help with slow speeds.  I receive different responses each time.

I checked the cords, the westell router, my computer settings etc.  Today I was told that I should contact Verizon billing to downgrade my plan since only speeds up to 3m are available in my area.  What about not getting what I PAID FOR?

I am very discouraged.  I feel that I am not getting any assistance.  Perhaps I should switch to another company.

Smiley Sad

0 Likes