wifi connection issue
paintpeeler
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having a wifi connection issue with my phone.

I will say I've already talked to samsung technical support and they seem to think that verizon is where I need to find the answer.

I have a phone.. a samsung galaxy j2.

it used to connect to my wifi just fine.

one day I came home and my cats had knocked out the power cord of my router so I plugged it back in.

since then, I have not been able to connect to my wifi with this phone. (I do have 8 other wireless devices that connect just fine)

I have not only rebooted the router, I even went so far as to press the red reset button on the router. (this is a 3100 router)

I have used the phones internal system to wipe it out and reload it all from scratch.

I will note that during setup (before any software was loaded on this device) it still wouldn't connect. It won't connect in safe mode.

I have been scouring online and I have tried everything. I have tried every setting this phone has.

during this problem I have gotten a variety of messages when attempting to connect to the wifi.

the first message used to be "Ready to connect when network quality improves"

then I got "Internet May not be Available"

now I am currently getting "sign in to network" when I click on that it takes me to a page (a mcaffee page) that says "you're blocked from the internet right now. Feel free to ask your network owner to unlock the device"

I am starting to get REALLY frustrated that only THIS device refuses to connect.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: wifi connection issue
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Try for testing reasons disabling Home Network Protection.

#2 If disabling Home Network Protection fixes the issue, please report back that fact.

#3 If you do not use Home Network Protection OR are no longer interested in using it and it fixes your issue:

a) Leave it disabled.

b) Press Accept As Solution.

#4 Hopefully in the future, besides Accept As Solution there be button labeled Accept As Work Around in case for example disabling Home Network Protection fixes the issue and you AND OR other users still would like to use that feature.

View solution in original post

paintpeeler
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an update...

usually when I start up the wifi connection and after it fails to connect I click on the connect to wifi area and it takes me to a page (a McAffee page) that says "you're blocked from the internet right now. Feel free to ask your network owner to unlock the device"

if I select from that page to open in the browser....

my icon indicating a wifi connection comes on... however...

most sites I will try to go to will just take me back to that McAfee page...

some of them will give me a certificate warning.. some give me the option to continue, some don't... even on the ones that have the continue option eventually just take me back to that McAfee fail page... EXCEPT verizon

I can browse the verizon website.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Try for testing reasons disabling Home Network Protection.

#2 If disabling Home Network Protection fixes the issue, please report back that fact.

#3 If you do not use Home Network Protection OR are no longer interested in using it and it fixes your issue:

a) Leave it disabled.

b) Press Accept As Solution.

#4 Hopefully in the future, besides Accept As Solution there be button labeled Accept As Work Around in case for example disabling Home Network Protection fixes the issue and you AND OR other users still would like to use that feature.

paintpeeler
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sorry.. home network protection?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@paintpeeler wrote:

I'm sorry.. home network protection?

Yes, that is my educated guess and there are threads about it here. Just search for Home Network Protection. Here is a direct link searching for that.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=false&q...

And here is one examples of the results that came back.

Paged Blocked by Verizon McAffe Home Network Protection 

See in that in thread post 9.

paintpeeler
Enthusiast - Level 2

yeah. I've come to learn home network protection is a setting in the my fios APP and NOT in the router itself. I turned  that off and viola.. my phone will now connect.

This McAfee software is junk.

paintpeeler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also turns out my phone wasn't the only device in my house that was having a problem. We have a camera that connects via wifi that also wasn't working until we toggled that setting to OFF