windows 7 doesn't work with verizon modem westell 6100
louis78
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a new gateway 4869 desk top. it will go on the internet and connect with gateway support and outlook express but will not connect with any other site like ebay,amazon,etc.it goes to these sites and waits for a reply that never comes. the computer works ok when connected to the t1 connection at best buy. i have an old dell with xp that works fine with this modem and hookup.i also had this happen with a new hp desktop. gateway and hp are not able to fix this saying it is the modem. verizon says if modem works with xp it is ok. this modem is old and may not have recent drivers which i can't check cause cant go online.anyone else have this problem or solutions.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: windows 7 doesn't work with verizon modem westell 6100
louis78
Enthusiast - Level 2

On Jan 25 I got Verizon level 2 support and this tech did a number of checks and concluded several things were missing from  thecomputer so I got on Gateway tech chat and told their tech what Verizon said. He sent me a driver update for the network adapter and after this the computer worked fine online.The netwok adapter in the Gateway was different from the one in the Dell I was using to get on line.So Verizon was right the modem was ok. Unfortunately after using this computer for seven days; it suddenly will not power up at all;no power lights-nothing. Gateway will fix this but I have to figure out how to erase passwords to bank,credit cards broker,etc and I will have to use a local tech to do this cause the computer won't power up.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pcdokta
Enthusiast - Level 1

I run Win7 on my desktop & XP on my older Laptop, both Dell, connecting to the internet via the same  DSL LAN  router.  Had problens connecting to some sites on my desktop, but not on the laptop; both runnng the same Anti-virus software, but. firewall exception settings were different for managing program connections. My browser would attempt to make the connections and just keep running until timed out.

You mention that your older Dell running XP connects to the web via the same modem,  and verizon tech support states this proves the modem works properly.  I agree, otherwise your older PC wouldn't connect to the web either.  If it's not the hardware it must be the software  settings.  Your firewall settings may be interfering with the connections from being made. I suggest that you check the settings used with your Win7 firewall first. What internet security software are you running?  Mine allows personal firewall settings which overrides the basic Windows firewall.

I'd also check the internet option settings on your XP Dell and compare them to the settings on your newer PC to ascertain whether there's any difference.

While you may not be able to search for driver updates on the newer pc, you can use your Dell's XP pc for that purpose.

Good luck.

louis78
Enthusiast - Level 2

The windows 7 computer has no anti virus installed. I keep getting reminders to turn it on but I plan to transfer virus setup from old computer.  I can search with the xp but have no way of installing on the Win 7 . Don.t know why type just changed. The modem manual written in 2003 and found on internet only lists required stuff up to xp and they refer all tech requestsnto verizon.If there was a software problem wouldn't this have shown up when I ran the computer at best buy on their t1 connection.Also seems unlikely that computers from both HP and Gateway would have same incorrect software setup. The

explorer 8 on xp is 32 bit and on the win 7 is 64 bit. Don't know if this makes a difference or was even considered in 2003 when modem was designed.If this was software mistake maybe electronic stores are getting a lot of returns because Verizon doesn't seem able to solve.

0 Likes
louis78
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forgot to add I will try your software suggestions and thanks for them.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

IMHO, there are no drivers for an external DSL modem.

There can be issues when moving from one IE version to another, especially new ones. But 32 vs 64 bit should not be a problem here.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The problem is here, is even if we are dealing with a potential Firewall issue, we've got some other known issues regarding newer Windows 7 machines and Westell 6100 modems. It seems some people have gotten this problem fixed by just requesting a new modem, but to be honest, that shouldn't be needed. The fix should be nothing more than updating the Wired NIC drivers on the PC to newer ones provided by the Device manufacturer, NOT the PC Manufacturer. Often times the device drivers supplied on new PCs are several months old, if not, date back to when Windows 7 first came out (which is the same reason why Vista sucked for everyone with messed up drivers and support. I still run Vista without issues to this day on some machines here!). We need to keep in mind that Microsoft re-built the networking stack in Windows Vista, and further built upon the stack slightly that was found in Vista and placed it in Windows 7. They are somewhat identical between Vista and XP, and 7 and XP, but they are completely different animals especially considering that Windows Vista and Windows 7 tune themselves, something XP never did but as a side effect, restrict the ability to manually tune Win7/WinVista.

If it isn't the Wired NIC drivers causing issues, nor is it a setting on the NIC itself causing problems, the problems have to lay with buggy firmware on the modems. See if an update can be found for the modem on Verizon's website, as they should be pushing those updates out but lately it seems there's newer builds that fix this problem that are not being pushed out.

0 Likes
louis78
Enthusiast - Level 2

On Jan 25 I got Verizon level 2 support and this tech did a number of checks and concluded several things were missing from  thecomputer so I got on Gateway tech chat and told their tech what Verizon said. He sent me a driver update for the network adapter and after this the computer worked fine online.The netwok adapter in the Gateway was different from the one in the Dell I was using to get on line.So Verizon was right the modem was ok. Unfortunately after using this computer for seven days; it suddenly will not power up at all;no power lights-nothing. Gateway will fix this but I have to figure out how to erase passwords to bank,credit cards broker,etc and I will have to use a local tech to do this cause the computer won't power up.

0 Likes
louis78
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also the computer came with IE 9 and when HP could not make changes to IE 9 Microsoft said to swtch to IE 8 simply by removing IE 9 which I did and IE 8 did appear.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it won't power up, just take the hard disk out of the machine and send it off. I'm not sure if Gateway would like people doing that when it's being sent in for repair, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. It isn't voiding the warranty as all you're doing is protecting your privacy, plus, most computer manufacturers do not void machine warranty if you keep the original components in the machine, with the exception of the hard drive (they will warrant it, but it should be removable if being taken in for service).

Also, keep IE9. There's no reason you should need to remove it unless you're using old applications that will not run under the new engine the browser has, even with compatibility.

0 Likes
vwk5449

Hey, guess what? A wired LAN connection to a Westell 6100 modem does not work with Windows 7 64-bit no matter what you do (unless you have a Westlell 6100g with 3 lights on it). This is an on going problem everyone with DSL is having. Only certain websites can be accessed (like the Google sites off the tool bar). You can ping the sites, but you can't access them. Updating the firmware for the modem doesn't work either. It doesn't matter what your browser is (IE, Chrome, Firefox). Call Verizon and demand a new modem! It's not your computer! It is the Westlell 6100! It happened to me so don't let it drive you crazy. My XP machine works fine on it and the internet runs fine off my neighbors cable modem because I wanted to prove it was the DSL modem and not the PC.

0 Likes