1g service (home)
MaryS31

I just had 1g service installed in my 200 sq ft house.  So far I am completely underwhelmed.  Even standing next to the router the speed is about 400 at the fastest, but generally in the mid to high 200s (and sometimes in the 175 range).  If I leave the room it drops dramatically.  In my kitchen, 20 ft away and down 6 steps, it drops to the 20-30 range.    

Does anyone actually get high speeds (measured by an independent speed test, not Verizon's)?  

I am pretty much a tech novice, so I don't understand a lot of what I have read about the mesh systems.  Can someone explain what I should buy and the installation process please?  I have read about having to put the Verizon router in bridge mode, logging into ip addresses, etc, and it seems like it might be above my skill set.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: 1g service (home)
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Generally you are not likely to get 1000Mbps on WiFi. If you use 5GHz band WiFi, the speed is expected to deteriorate fast once you are away from the router.

I suggest you use wired ethernet to get the best speed, around 800-900Mbps by M-Lab speed test.

0 Likes
Re: 1g service (home)
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

For testing speed - ALWAYS use a wired connection - wi-fi will not get you nearly as fast.

In terms of using a  'mesh' system, if you don't have TV and use internet only, its as simple as unplugging your VZ router, and following instructions to turn on and configure the mesh that you choose. Almost any current-gen mesh will work, but performance will never get you close to gig on wi-fi. The mesh will help with more coverage.

If you have any specific ones you are looking at, feel free to ask here. You can get anything from a google Wi-fi mesh, Eero, TP-Link, Asus and a host of other ones. Plenty are 'plug-and-play', but if budget allows, choose one with 'tri-band'. All that means is there is one dedicated band for the 'satellites' to connect to the main router, and that wont eat into YOUR speed.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes