2.4ghz drops out while 5ghz works
MJP308

I have a g3100 router. I was having daily issues where my 2.4 network and not my 5g network would drop out and lose all connectivity. I could always tell because my Rings work only on 2.4 and would go offline. A reboot generally fixes issue. This was happening daily. Then the reboot wouldn’t work. I had a tech come out and gave me a new router. Same model. Same issue persisted. Had another tech come out. Swapped old ENT box, re did main wire, and changed out some other hardware because could not figure underlying issue. This worked for a few days and then it started happening again. I eventually noticed that any time my 2.4 network switched channels, it was dropping. So I manually set a channel (6) and selected 20/40 MHz option. My 5g I left on auto select. This worked for about a week or so and then eventually it started dropping out again. I have tried different channels, I have tried SON on and off. Nothing works this far. It is very frustrating because i have some devices that don’t work on my 5ghz otherwise I would just block the MAC address a d force it to the 5g. I don’t know much about routers but have read and read about issues. So if responding please try to dumb it down because I do not know all the lingo. I am fresh out of ideas and super frustrated that my gigabit connection constantly has to be rebooted to work. Fios is not cheap. Is it possible a device in my home can be crashing the 2.4 only? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have read many posts by people with this issue and cannot really find a common fix that just works. Please help! I have spent countless hours online with Verizon support and they just keep telling me the signal on there end looks ok. I am not sure if I just have to live with this issue forever or if there is a way to fix. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 2.4ghz drops out while 5ghz works
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am sorry for the inconvenience. The Fios Technical Support can help you resolve Internet connection issues, but the representatives are not trained to troubleshoot every brand of wireless device.

Besides turning off SON, you can try to change the 2.4Ghz band to 802.11b/g/n only. It may be possible that the wireless chipsets in your Ring has compatibility issues with 802.11ax WiFi 6 radio. 802.11ax standard is capable on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 

I would also advise you to contact Ring whether their device has combability issues with newer WiFi standards.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Turn off SON (self organizing network) in the routers settings or through the Fios app.

that may help your issue 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am sorry for the inconvenience. The Fios Technical Support can help you resolve Internet connection issues, but the representatives are not trained to troubleshoot every brand of wireless device.

Besides turning off SON, you can try to change the 2.4Ghz band to 802.11b/g/n only. It may be possible that the wireless chipsets in your Ring has compatibility issues with 802.11ax WiFi 6 radio. 802.11ax standard is capable on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 

I would also advise you to contact Ring whether their device has combability issues with newer WiFi standards.

PlzFix

I have same issue and it is not only Ring devices. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you identify the devices and their respective wireless chipsets so we can better help you resolve your issue?

0 Likes
MJP308

The solution I found is to buy an eeros wifi system and not use the G3100 for anything other than cable. Since i purchased eeros I have 0 issues. So it had nothing to do with my Ring products. Something about using the Verizon G3100 just doesn’t work. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which EERO did you buy? Does it have WiFi 5 or WiFi 6? Do you know what wireless chipset does EERO use? I will look deeper into this issue.

0 Likes
MJP308

I bought the eero pro 6 which supports the wifi 6. I got two satellites with it that are hard wired. So the main 1 plus 2 for my home. Phenomenal wifi coverage and not a single internet issue. I had a guy who sets up wifi install it in my home and he buys a custom version of the eero through his supplier that he can configure as needed. So unfortunately I cannot share much detail about the actual settings, but that’s what I bought. Works excellent now! 

0 Likes