Adding a wifi router to Quantum Gateway
CB_Avatar
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just ordered FIOS Triple Plan with the Quantum package under the Verizon UEO program.   I want to be able to use my existing ASUS RT AC-66U wifi router.   Not sure how to hook up my own ASUS wifi router to the supplied Quantum Gateway in a manner that does not violate Verizon configuration requirements, i.e., Verizon will support the setup.   The two routers would physically be next to each other, so presumably the ASUS WAN port would plug into a Quantum Gateway ethernet port.   Not sure how to configure the Quantum to allow the second router without issues.

I can't be the first one to ask this...but sorry, I could not find the answer.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding a wifi router to Quantum Gateway
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So here's how the ASUS should be set up.

IF YOU PLAN TO USE THE VERIZON ROUTER AS YOUR PRIMARY ROUTER:

1. Log into the ASUS and configure the ASUS to match the Wireless settings you want to use ahead of time. Make sure it's working.
  2. Go to Administration > Operation Mode. Select "AP Mode."
  3. Once the ASUS applies this change and reboots, the ASUS will no longer be accessible from it's original IP Address. It will now become a DHCP client to the Quantum Gateway.
  4. Connect an Ethernet cable from any LAN port on the Quantum Gateway to the WAN port on the ASUS. This will let the ASUS operate as an AP while giving you four Ethernet ports.
  5. The Quantum Gateway should show the ASUS's IP address in the network list, and any wireless devices connected to the ASUS. Wireless and wired devices connected to the ASUS should also be able to access the Internet as if nothing happened.

If problems happen in this mode, access the ASUS's web interface and make sure DHCP is disabled (the router should do this automatically in AP mode). Also, if the router is taking on the same IP address as the Quantum Gateway versus a DHCP-assigned address, you may want to set the ASUS to use an IP from a different subnet - 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.1.xxx...

IF YOU PLAN TO USE THE ASUS AS YOUR PRIMARY ROUTER:

Here's a good FAQ on configuration setups and some other items that you may want to read over: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_Actiontec . I'm not sure if some of this information still applies to the Quantum gateway, but it should get you on the right path.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What are you trying to accomplish?

The easiest way I can think of (and have done) is to log in to your rotuer. Disable DHCP.

Configure it for a static ip on the 192.168.1.0 subnet so you can access it.

Then connect ethernet cable from port on Quantum to lan port on your router.

This will make your router a WIFI access point.

0 Likes
CB_Avatar
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am trying to figure out how to use my router of wifi.

In your reply post, are you saying connect the routers from one of the four Quantum LAN ports to one of my router's four LAN ports?   Or did you mean LAN to WAN on my router?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

For true bridge mode, it is lan to lan.

Going Lan to WAN will make your router create a new subnet.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ASUS should have Access Point mode built-in, located in the Administration page. Use that to make your ASUS into a Wireless Bridge and Ethernet switch. This will rely on the G1100 for routing and continue to keep the configuration fully supported by Verizon.

0 Likes
CB_Avatar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sent you a private message, since you seem to understand what I am trying to accomplish...I think you can help me move this forward...thanks!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CB_Avatar wrote:

I just ordered FIOS Triple Plan with the Quantum package under the Verizon UEO program.   I want to be able to use my existing ASUS RT AC-66U wifi router.   Not sure how to hook up my own ASUS wifi router to the supplied Quantum Gateway in a manner that does not violate Verizon configuration requirements, i.e., Verizon will support the setup.   The two routers would physically be next to each other, so presumably the ASUS WAN port would plug into a Quantum Gateway ethernet port.   Not sure how to configure the Quantum to allow the second router without issues.

I can't be the first one to ask this...but sorry, I could not find the answer.

Thanks!

As you said, the easiest way is jut to run an ethernet cable from a LAN port of the Verizon router to the WAN port of your router.
No configuration is needed on the Verizon router.  You do need to pre-configure your router to be using a dhcp server range other than 192.168.1  Once you connect your router it will pick up a dhcp address from the Verizon router for it's wan address and will start handing out dhcp addresses in it's range to the clients that connect to it.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So here's how the ASUS should be set up.

IF YOU PLAN TO USE THE VERIZON ROUTER AS YOUR PRIMARY ROUTER:

1. Log into the ASUS and configure the ASUS to match the Wireless settings you want to use ahead of time. Make sure it's working.
  2. Go to Administration > Operation Mode. Select "AP Mode."
  3. Once the ASUS applies this change and reboots, the ASUS will no longer be accessible from it's original IP Address. It will now become a DHCP client to the Quantum Gateway.
  4. Connect an Ethernet cable from any LAN port on the Quantum Gateway to the WAN port on the ASUS. This will let the ASUS operate as an AP while giving you four Ethernet ports.
  5. The Quantum Gateway should show the ASUS's IP address in the network list, and any wireless devices connected to the ASUS. Wireless and wired devices connected to the ASUS should also be able to access the Internet as if nothing happened.

If problems happen in this mode, access the ASUS's web interface and make sure DHCP is disabled (the router should do this automatically in AP mode). Also, if the router is taking on the same IP address as the Quantum Gateway versus a DHCP-assigned address, you may want to set the ASUS to use an IP from a different subnet - 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.1.xxx...

IF YOU PLAN TO USE THE ASUS AS YOUR PRIMARY ROUTER:

Here's a good FAQ on configuration setups and some other items that you may want to read over: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_Actiontec . I'm not sure if some of this information still applies to the Quantum gateway, but it should get you on the right path.

NonExpert17

Hello,

I realize this is an older thread but it is the exact issue I am having.  The problem I am encountering is that the ASUS router will not allow me access unless I am connected to the internet and once connected to the internet all attempts take me to the Verizon interface.

In the post above there is a reference to changing the settings on the Gateway.  If I do so do I need to change both the LAN IP and the IP range before I access the ASUS?  My thought is that as I can access the Gateway I will assign it a new IP and range so that I can access the ASUS though the default IP?

All help is appreciated

0 Likes