Anyone in So Cal have issues with neighbor's FIOS location stronger than theirs/
SoCalRenee
Enthusiast - Level 2

My base is literally 5 feet from my home office, where I need the access the most, BUT I tend to pick up the neighbor's secure set-up and NOT mine. (No issues in any other part of the house, even 2nd story, furthest from base)

The neighbors FIOS box is located directly across from my office , outside, approximately 20 ft away. 

Has anyone gotten any kind of a BOOST, or something that would make the signal stronger? 

Issue was intermittent, but has been happening 90pct of the time, so i frequently need to disconnect and relocate all of my work. Appreciate any suggestions before I go into the land of Please hold...

thanks  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Anyone in So Cal have issues with neighbor's FIOS location stronger than theirs/
Hubrisnxs
Legend

change the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it.

Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel

1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.  So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply,  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

View solution in original post

Re: Anyone in So Cal have issues with neighbor's FIOS location stronger than theirs/
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
At 5 feet, wouldn't Ethernet be a better choice until you want to move around? Being that close to a wireless router is just asking for trouble with the signal unless you're going through cinder block walls or something nice and thick to weaken the signal a bit. All you may need to do though is change your wireless channel to a less occupied one (InSSIDer is a nice tool for Windows to help you find which is the cleanest) and adjust the router/antenna orientation to achieve a better signal.
Hubrisnxs
Legend

change the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it.

Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel

1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.  So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply,  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

Justin46
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:
At 5 feet, wouldn't Ethernet be a better choice until you want to move around? Being that close to a wireless router is just asking for trouble with the signal unless you're going through cinder block walls or something nice and thick to weaken the signal a bit. All you may need to do though is change your wireless channel to a less occupied one (InSSIDer is a nice tool for Windows to help you find which is the cleanest) and adjust the router/antenna orientation to achieve a better signal.

Thank you for that reference! That is a neat, easy to use tool. I believe many people get poor wireless performance simply due to conflicts with other networks using the same channel, and inSSIDer does a great job of showing you what networks your computer sees and what channels are being used. Lots of other info too, but just that alone makes it a great tool.

Thank you again.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
SoCalRenee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks a million!  Had a few hiccups w/login to router as it didn't want to accept password1 , but after just chaning password and getting in and following the detailed options..Changed the channel and seems to have resolved the issue. 

Love the In SSIDer info too.    

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Glad to hear it's been solved, and also you're welcome 🙂
0 Likes