BEGGING for any help w/ FIOS router problem.
RLaffman

Hi All,

I am a noob at networking and in desperate need of help.  I just got FIOS installed for phone, TV, and internet.   I am at my wits end, and the wife wants me to return it all and get cable back.  The internet connection they set up is via coax, and I was given the Actiontec modem/router.  Since my issue is complex, and I know people will need all the info to help me, I’ll try and break this post down.

My problem:  I need to use my Linksys WRT600N wireless router.   All of my laptops have draft n cards, and I also need to connect my (networked) hard drive to it (the Linksys supports a usb connection).  I also have many things I need to connect to it.  FIOS said I could do this when I called to order, but the techs who arrived said they didn’t know how. 

My set up:   I have 4 wired electronics, 1 network USB hard drive, Vonage, and several wireless g and n devices that I need to connect to the router so I would really like to keep mine.  However I am willing to buy a new item (bridge or access point) if anybody knows one that will definitely work and meet my needs (4 LAN ports, a usb port, and n access).  Somebody suggested the “D-Link DAP1522 Xtreme” claiming it won’t have any of the problems I am facing now.  If anyone can confirm that please let me know.

What I have done so far:  As suggested earlier, I just plugged my router into one of the LAN ports but that didn’t work.  So then I tried making the FIOS router a bridge, and that ended up making the TVs not have guide data, or widgets, or VOD (but my router worked).  I also followed the directions here… ( DSL REPORTS TOPIC: www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077  ) but nothing has allowed me to use my router, and keep the TVs getting the guide, widgets, and VOD.   It also resulted in me having to call FIOS b/c even after restoring the router defaults, I couldn’t get back online and they had to “reissue me a new ip”.  I don’t know what else to do, or even what I’m doing wrong.  I have read so many conflicting posts and would just like step by step “noob-ish” instructions that can solve my problem.  (Or if anybody knows something I can buy that will just work when I plug it in).

I have been told FIOS won’t support this and not to bother calling tech support.   I’m extremely mad that they lied to me to get me to agree to the install, then only told me this router info after all my lines have been cut.  I am posting my FIOS router info below, along with the Linksys router.  If anybody could help me, or send me in the right direction id be forever grateful.

My  FIOS info is:

Router:  Actiontect

Firmware Version:   4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.3

Model Name:   MI424-WR

Hardware Version:   D

Physical Connection Type:   Coax

Broadband Connection Type:   DHCP

My Linksys Router:

Linksys WRT600n info located here:  LINSYS ROUTER: www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT600N

Thanks in advance-

Best-

Kurt

0 Likes
Re: BEGGING for any help w/ FIOS router problem.
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I believe you need to turn off dhcp on one of the routers so only one is distributing ip addresses, I would also turn off the wireless on the actiontec so your linksys is distributing the wireless signal (g and N).  I"ll have to check tomorrow, but I thought you take lan out of the actiontec to the wan port of the linksys...Another option:  If your modem is close enough to the Ont or you can run an ethernet...have the Ont programmed to use the ethernet port and run it to your router first.  Here is a good post which shows exactly what I mean.

CLICK HERE

0 Likes
Pyao
Contributor - Level 1

1. Disable ActionTec wireless. 

2. Connect LAN port from ActionTec to Linksys' WAN port.

3. Connect to your Linksys LAN port from another computer.

3a. Change Linksys IP to use 200.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.1.1.

3b. Change Linksys subnet to use 200.168.1.2 to 200.255.255.255 instead of from 192.168.1.2.  (so it does not conflict with ActionTec's 192.168.1.2 range)

That should be it, your laptops/other devices connected to Linksys will get IP ranges from 200.168.1.2 while you still get VOD/Guide through ActionTec.

When you want to remote to your Linksys again, use 200.168.1.1.

0 Likes
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is how I would set it up.

Since you already have your linksys router setup the way you want and some of the equipment may have static IP's I would change the ip of the Actiontec.

Your linksys is most likely 192.168.1.1 which is the same as the actiontec. Change the IP of the actiontec to 192.168.2.1.  You now have two networks so to speak.

You plug the wan of the Linksys into one of the LAN connections on the actiontec.  Your linksys now should get an ip like 192.168.2.2 on the wan side and hand out 192.168.1.x ip's on the LAN side.  The linksys doesn't care where it gets its WAN ip from.  You will most likley have to reboot any STB's so they get a new IP from the Actiontc.

I had to do such a setup when I was setting up an Xbox for someone who also had a home medical business.  They had a firewall that wouldn't let the Xbox  connect to the outside world and no one knew how to configure it.  I hooked up a linksys wireless router before the firewall and had the xbox connect to that.  The new linksys then fed the firewall.

I would also disable the wireless on the actiontec just because it may interfere radio wise with the linksys.  Also do not disable DHCP on any of the routers with this setup.

Message Edited by chartle on 02-13-2009 11:35 AM
Message Edited by chartle on 02-13-2009 11:37 AM
Message Edited by chartle on 02-13-2009 11:38 AM
0 Likes
RLaffman
Hey guys.  First let me say thank you to everyone who has been helping.  I am currently trying the methods above but I still seem to be stuck.  I don’t know which spot(s) to type in the information you are saying.  I have inserted pics of my “setup tabs” for the Linksys router.  If you could tell me what to put where, id really appreciate it.  The first problem I ran into was I cant enter my own “subnet mask”  I only have a choice of 5 or 6 from the drop down menu.  I tried to insert pics but it wont work, so I put the links below.   I think the FIOS end is pretty straight forward, but I didn’t want to configure it until I got the Linksys part done.   Let me know if you anymore info from my end.  Thanks!

Linksys Setup Pic 1

Linsys Setup Pic 2

Linksys Setup Pic 3

Linksys Setup Pic 4

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Pic 1, leave the subnet mask alone, change the ip address above it.  I made mine 192.168.1.3 ...If your letting verizons router distribute the ip addresses then also in picture one disable DHCP
0 Likes
vkratliff
I have problems with the wireless on the fios actiontec router--it keeps trashing the router.  I reinstalled my linksys router by hanging it off of the actiontec router.  I've got all of my computer connected to the linksys just like before fios.  The subnet on the actiontec is 192.168.1.1.  Leave that alone.  Change the local IP address on the linksys to 192.168.2.1.  Now plug all of your network cables into the linksys.  I copied the DNS from the actiontec into the DNS on my linksys.  Leave the TV and other components connected into the actiontec device.  This should work as long as I didn't forget any critical steps.  It's been a while since I did this.  At some point I've got to bother Verizon about why the actiontec router won't stay up when I connect to it wirelessly.
0 Likes