Bandwidth division
jeffwohnsiedler

I have an Actiontec Router/Modem for my home network.

My question is:

Is there a way to evenly distribute and allot the bandwidth between devices that connect wirelessly to the router/modem?

I want to stop one device being a bandwidth hog.

Thank you for any help.

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Bandwidth division
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In a sense, not really. While the gateways support quality of service, they most handle traffic in the upload rather than the Download, which is probably where you need the distribution to take place. You can try to use upload QOS to choke off the Download for each machine, but with modern network protocols it is a crap shoot as to how well that will work. Shaping on the upload would be useless of the traffic is not TCP protocol based. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In a sense, not really. While the gateways support quality of service, they most handle traffic in the upload rather than the Download, which is probably where you need the distribution to take place. You can try to use upload QOS to choke off the Download for each machine, but with modern network protocols it is a crap shoot as to how well that will work. Shaping on the upload would be useless of the traffic is not TCP protocol based. 

0 Likes
jeffwohnsiedler

**bleep**, I thought I've heard about there being that function where you can allot the bandwidth, but I've been checking other places and come up with what you're saying, too.

I'll try the QOS thing but I have a feeling the downloads are UDP or something like that.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome!

0 Likes