Becoming a FIOS user who has an existing home wifi network, now will have G3100 also.
pbug56
Enthusiast - Level 2

In a few weeks FIOS comes to my house, which has been on Cablevision, then Optimum, now Altice 1.  I have my own home network with 2 repeaters, the Linksys router downstairs at one end of the house (I know, not idea, but based on where my network wiring 'hubs'.  It connects to the cra-py A1 box (which needs to be rebooted a few times per week or it slowly dies) to get out, distribution via wifi for some devices, additional switches and 1gb ethernet for others.  

I'm getting the 3100 with 'gb' service.  My guess is that just plugging my Linksys into the 3100 should get me up and running quickly, though I know there will be DNS / address issues to deal with then.  I'd love to keep my wifi using devices in the usual 192.168.1.1 or so scheme if practical.  I know the location of the router stinks; I just have to deal with it.  

I also have 2 phone lines coming over.  Altice had to keep an old Arris box live since the A1 box has only 1 RJ11 port.  Any issue here with the 3100?

The ONT has to be in my garage where the electrical meter is and old phone lines were so it can get power.  I'll plug it into a UPS (how much is the normal power draw of the ONT) to get over Long Island's frequent power blips, and will have that backup power thing from Verizon (a box with 8 D cells to give extra voice backup).  Does this make sense?  I've got room and power there.  But the coax then goes right back outside again from the ONT to go up to the attic where CV long ago ran their coax to an amp and splitters in the attic, one of those branches going down to the computer room where the 3100 will be.  Also where I can plug the phone wiring RJ11's into FIOS.

Have I missed anything?  Any better alternatives?  I don't know how much they are willing to do to improve my setup.  

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Becoming a FIOS user who has an existing home wifi network, now will have G3100 also.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you do not have FIOS TV, you do not need to have the FIOS router handling the public IP Address instead you can convert that FIOS router to act as if was only a hub/switch/wap.

REF https://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

In my own words that FAQ.

#1 In the primary NAT router:

a) find the DHCP Range.

b) Make sure that it does not occupy the whole subnet.

c) If it occupy the whole subnet, make it smaller.

For example with it at 192.168.1.1 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the first DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.2 and the last DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.254 - then you could change it so that the first DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.100 and the last DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.254 

#2 For that other router, you must:

a) Have it disconnected at this step.

b) Set it's LAN IP Address with the same Subnet as the primary but outside of the DHCP Range of the Primary router's DHCP Range.

For example with the primary IP Address 192.168.1.1 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the first DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.100 and the last DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.254 - then the other router's LAN IP Address could be 192.168.1.6

c) Disable the DHCP Server in the second RJ-45 WAN port NAT router.

#3 Once you make those changes, now you can connect both of those routers together but this time LAN to LAN.

Beware if you use your own router handling the public IP Address, Verizon will support you from their end only to the ONT.

Of course you do not have to convert the FIOS router, instead you can convert the other one to act as a hub/switch/wap.

It would help to know if you are getting FIOS TV too.

For the phone wire, it goes to the phone port of the ONT.

0 Likes
Re: Becoming a FIOS user who has an existing home wifi network, now will have G3100 also.
pbug56
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am getting FIOS TV along with internet and 2 phone lines.  So at this point I think I'll just take whatever is plugged into my Linksys and plug it into the G3100, but change the SSID to what I already use.  Question - can I assign 2 SSID's to the G3100?  I use 2 now, with A for 2.4, and B for 5.  I have a lot of devices, and the fewer I have to go into to reconnect to wifi the better.

Thanks!

0 Likes