Bridge MoCA connected internet only Model G3100 setup to Nest WiFi
Xuede
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I found a bunch of post on the forums but they were all about 

I just ordered FiOS Gigabit service that's internet only.

I don't have existing Ethernet wired in my home and am willing to pull Ethernet to the outside ONT but I'd like to avoid the hassle of that.

The G3100 is included in my plan so I'd like to know if I can use the G3100 in bridge mode and turn off the WiFi and how I'd set that up on the G3100 so I can use my existing router. When I search the forums it seems like everyone is asking about voice and TV setup and I'm internet only. I'd think that it should be possible but would anyone be able to tell me how I can do this? If I can't, I'll pull Ethernet but really don't want to do that.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Bridge MoCA connected internet only Model G3100 setup to Nest WiFi
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gigabit must be installed with Ethernet from the ONT to the router.  MoCA simply isn't fast enough for it.

Run the Ethernet cable from the ONT location to your desired router location.  Once done, you can use any router you want.

View solution in original post

LeoH1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Manual for G3100 says it can only do 175 Mbps with the WAN coax connection, so you might want to run that ethernet if you want to take full advantage of your gigabit internet.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're best using Ethernet in this case. It's supported by Verizon, lower latency, and less problematic in the future. And less points of failure. Since your ONT is outside, the usual solution people use for using Coax with two Bonded MoCA 2.5 adapters is still going to require using Ethernet from the ONT outdoors, to a point inside the house where a MoCa Adapter can live to complete half the circuit.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gigabit must be installed with Ethernet from the ONT to the router.  MoCA simply isn't fast enough for it.

Run the Ethernet cable from the ONT location to your desired router location.  Once done, you can use any router you want.

Xuede
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, everyone for all your replies.

I'm going to run Ethernet to the ONT. It'll be a project but I'll enjoy doing it!

Cheers!

Michael

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have fun :-). Making it all work in the end is the best part.