Can I get ride of the quantum router?
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

Hi - I subscribe only to FIOS internet.  I used to have TV but removed that several years ago.  Currently my ONT is connected to the router through COAX.  I have the 100/100 speed setup at present.  I have read that it is possible to run an ethernet directly to the ONT - does that mean I can bypass the Quantum router and remove it from the setup.  I am already running an Edgerouter Lite behind the Verizon Router and would love to make this my main router.  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I get ride of the quantum router?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes everrything you said is correct. Open up the ONT enclosure on the outside an there will be an ethernet port. It is disabled when on coax so once you call Verizon to activate you will be done with Quantum router. In some occasions you will have to break the DHCP lease to connect a new router. The rep should also be able to help with that as well.

The inside unit does have to be powered as well. That keeps the ONT outside powered up. Battery is just for phone backup in a power outage. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes that it correct. You can run the ethernet yourself or call Verizon to have a tech to do it. The tech option would be a fee of course. If you run it yourself call Verizon and tell them to switch your data from MoCA to ethernet. 

I actually use Ubiquti equipment too. I use the Edge Router X with AC lite access points. 

SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

Where exactly is the ethernet port - on the unit outside or the small unit inside?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The one inside is probably just power supply. It sound like your ONT is on the  outside. Is it possible to send pictures?

SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

Here are two pictures of the inside unit.  Is this unit being used for anything now?  I assume the coax going to the Quantum router is going straight to the ONT?  I don't have phone or TV service.  It would be nice to unplug this as it has a big wall unit that I am sure is sucking some power.

There is one cable coming from outside to this unit.  It is an odd one - a thick bland and red cable and some smaller coulored cables.

imageimage

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes that is the BBU/power supply. That is powering up the Outside ONT. The red/black wires are power and the colored smaller wires are the signal wires that communicate with ONT. You will have to run your ethernet from the outside box to your router. 

SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

So..

Somewhere in the unit outside there is an ethernet port.  I need to wire from that to my router and let Verizon know so they can switch off the COAX and activate the ethernet.  Then I am done with the Quantum router.  Is that right?

Also, this unit on the inside needs to remain powered as it supplies power to the ONT.  You will notice that I don't currently have a battery in it.  I removed the battery a long time ago - because it was failing and beeping.  The ONT continues to operate fine, even when we lose power.  So I am assuming the battery was for something else - such as keeping phones active in a power failure?  Is that right?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes everrything you said is correct. Open up the ONT enclosure on the outside an there will be an ethernet port. It is disabled when on coax so once you call Verizon to activate you will be done with Quantum router. In some occasions you will have to break the DHCP lease to connect a new router. The rep should also be able to help with that as well.

The inside unit does have to be powered as well. That keeps the ONT outside powered up. Battery is just for phone backup in a power outage. 

SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

Great thanks

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

0 Likes