Can I receive Internet using Coaxial instead of the Ethernet cable?
nitinatoffice

I recently installed verizon service at my house. I got the Internet and FIOS TV on two TVs. The person who came over installed the router in a different room from the TVs.

The room where the router is installed has a ethernet outlet and a Cable outlet on the wall. A coaxial cable goes from this coaxial outlet to the coaxial port in the router. The ethernet cable goes to the WAN port in the router from the network plug in the wall.

This router also serves as my wireless router.

I wanted to move the router to another room; the room where I have the TV. That's because the TV also can get connected to the internet, but not wirelessly. So I was hoping that I could utilize one of the LAN ports on the router to connect to the TV.

However the other room only has a coxial outlet in the room, no ethernet outlet. So when I pull the ethernet cable out and still have the coaxial cable in, I lose internet connectivity. In the past, at a previous house, I remember that the internet connection was coming through the coaxial cable. I had no network plug in the house. but that does not seem to be the case here which is also preventing me from moving my router to a different location.

I wanted to know if there is a configuration in the rotuer that I can make which will route internet through the coaxial cable instead of the ethernet cable. I tried pulling the coaxiable cable out of the router, and when I do that the internet works fine which i think, proves that the coaxial cable is not being used to access the internet.

0 Likes
Re: Can I receive Internet using Coaxial instead of the Ethernet cable?
marc35655
Contributor - Level 1

The ONT (box where the fiber enters your home) is set to output to the ethernet port. I believe Verizon support can remotely switch the ONT to output on it's COAX jack. Would depend on how things were physically wired to tell if that is all that needs to be done.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

as long as the service terminal can deliver coax that way, so you need to get the model number off the box, and cross reference it, or call verizon to find out.  Some ONT's can't support that.  

either way verizon would enable the coax for internet over the phone.   

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What speed did you order from Verizon? If you have anything faster than the 75Mbps/35Mbps tier, Verizon will not allow you to change the connection type to Coax. Coax will not go past 100Mbps. 150Mbps and 300Mbps tiers require a Gigabit connection which can be delivered through your current wired connection.

But, it will work fine if you have the lower packages provided your ONT also supports it (which most do).

0 Likes