Can't log on to router
BS0323
Enthusiast - Level 2

For some unknown reason I cannot sign in to my Actiontec router.  When I put http://192.168.1.1 it just sits there and never gets to the signon screen.  Any ideas what can be wrong?  Thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't log on to router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you're still able to log onto the net, but can't log onto that screen, it could be either a browser issue (which means you would try another browser) or it could be a firewall blocking you.  So try disabling the firewall. 

if you can't access the net AND you can't access the router, then you might not have a good IP address.

Using the ping command to test the connection between your computer and the router or gateway

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you're still able to log onto the net, but can't log onto that screen, it could be either a browser issue (which means you would try another browser) or it could be a firewall blocking you.  So try disabling the firewall. 

if you can't access the net AND you can't access the router, then you might not have a good IP address.

Using the ping command to test the connection between your computer and the router or gateway

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

If what Hubrisinxs has suggested does not help, try doing a hard reset on the router (hold in the recessed reset button on the back),.

One the router resets, do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE and IPCONFIG /RENEW to ensure your PC pulls a new DHCP address from the router.  Once, you've done the IPCONFIG /RENEW, your PC and the router should be on the same subnet and you should be able to browse to it.

BS0323
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for your help.  Rather than a firewall problem, it was a VPN issue.  When I turned it off, I could successfully log on to my router.  Thanks again for your help!!