Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Can't log on to router
BS0323
Enthusiast

For some unknown reason I cannot sign in to my Actiontec router.  When I put http://192.168.1.1 it just sits there and never gets to the signon screen.  Any ideas what can be wrong?  Thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't log on to router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you're still able to log onto the net, but can't log onto that screen, it could be either a browser issue (which means you would try another browser) or it could be a firewall blocking you.  So try disabling the firewall. 

if you can't access the net AND you can't access the router, then you might not have a good IP address.

Using the ping command to test the connection between your computer and the router or gateway

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you're still able to log onto the net, but can't log onto that screen, it could be either a browser issue (which means you would try another browser) or it could be a firewall blocking you.  So try disabling the firewall. 

if you can't access the net AND you can't access the router, then you might not have a good IP address.

Using the ping command to test the connection between your computer and the router or gateway

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master

If what Hubrisinxs has suggested does not help, try doing a hard reset on the router (hold in the recessed reset button on the back),.

One the router resets, do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE and IPCONFIG /RENEW to ensure your PC pulls a new DHCP address from the router.  Once, you've done the IPCONFIG /RENEW, your PC and the router should be on the same subnet and you should be able to browse to it.

BS0323
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for your help.  Rather than a firewall problem, it was a VPN issue.  When I turned it off, I could successfully log on to my router.  Thanks again for your help!!