Coax and Ethernet WAN connected to my Quantum Gateway Router - Can I use my own router instead?
bigsid05

Trying to figure out if I can ditch the FiOS Quantum Gateway router that I currently have. I have a FiOS Custom TV package with 2 CableCARDs and the Instant Internet (750/750) service. My TV service is exclusively through the CableCARDs, I do not have any Verizon STBs or need any of the on demand features. Currently I am using a FiOS Quantum Gateway router that appears to have both a coax cable and ethernet cable (connected to the WAN port) coming in.

Perhaps a naive question but how does FiOS TV service actually get circulated through my home? Does it have anything to do with the coax cable that is going to my router? If not, why does my router have both a coax and ethernet WAN connection? Is only one actually in use?

If only one is in use, how can I determine which one? If it's ethernet, can I simply connect that to any other router and ditch the coax?

0 Likes
Re: Coax and Ethernet WAN connected to my Quantum Gateway Router - Can I use my own router instead?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are not using FiOS stb, then you can use your own router.

TV signal runs via coax.

Internet via Ethernet.

So just use your router on Ethernet.

0 Likes
Re: Coax and Ethernet WAN connected to my Quantum Gateway Router - Can I use my own router instead?
bigsid05

Thanks! What is the coax connection that is going to my router for then?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Default installation.

Just to confirm, do you have a link light on wan port of router from coax?

Verify Ethernet is active by disconnecting coax and confirming internet still works.

0 Likes
bigsid05

Nope, no coax WAN/LAN lights are lit up. Just disconnected the coax line and looks like everything is working perfectly (well, at least I'm able to post this!)

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Then you should be good to go.

Before you put your own router in, log in to Verizon router and do a release on WAN IP.

This will allow new router to get an IP quicker.

Otherwsie, you will have to wait a couple of hours for it to timeout.

0 Likes