Computer shutting down
sanh

I just installed a router to my desktop for wireless laptop connection. Now everytime I use the desktop it shuts down after about a half hour or so. When I turn it back on  says: " Alert!  shutdown was due to thermal event! Has anyone ever heard of this? What is it and how do I make it stop?

0 Likes
Re: Computer shutting down
Justin46
Legend

Two guesses:

1) One of the fans in your desktop has stopped working - processor, power supply, or case. I would open the case, power it on, and see if all of the fans are running, and if not get the one that isn't replaced.

2) You have somehow acquired a virus that is playing games with you. I haven't heard of one like this, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

I really doubt that adding a router to your setup would cause this, unless you have the router directly underneath the desktop. Heat rises, and I presume you have the Actiontec and it does generate a lot of heat.

0 Likes
Re: Computer shutting down
Charlesaw1
May I suggest that you move your laptop some distance from your router or vice versa and be sure that your laptop has sufficient "breathing room".
0 Likes