Consistently low real-world upload speeds (twitch stream, speed tests, etc)
Nods
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello

I will start by saying I have called support numerous times, replaced my router twice, as well as had a tech visit my home and absolutely nothing I have done has begun to fix this issue.

The problem is that the official verizon speed test reports my upload speed is around 20-30 Mb, while in reality to ANYTHING other than the verizon server I get less than 2 Mb. I did NOT previously have this issue, and the problem exists on all computers (wired) on my network. I have run the verizon TCP optimization on all machines.

I was previously able to stream 1080p video to my twitch.tv account while playing online games and now I immediately get 1,000s of frames lost every second. My download speed seems to be 'good' although it is pretty inconsistent.

A typical verizon speed test result is 70-75 Mb down, 20-30 Mb up. Speedtest.net and Speakeasy.net both CONSISTENTLY give me results of < 2 Mb. For this reason, the technicians will get rid of me as soon as they can. They tell me my speed is fine and any problems with it beyond their "official" speed test lies with the vendor of w/e product it happens to be. Youtube, Soundcloud, Twitch.tv, Speedtest.net, Speakeasy.net, and many other sites are apparently all having issues --'

I was going to simply cancel my Fios account until I recently ran a Network Diagnostic test on the Fios site.

This was my result:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 4.87Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 68.58Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data&colon; Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data&colon; Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_25

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 302080 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 16.07 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and 
There were 123 packets retransmitted, 2270 duplicate acks received, and 2367 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 2.67% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 89.31% of the time.
This connection is network limited 8.02% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Client IP address not found. For IE users, modify the Java parameters
click Tools - Internet Options - Security - Custom Level, scroll down to
Microsoft VM - Java permissions and click Custom, click Java Custom Settings
Edit Permissions - Access to all Network Addresses, click Eanble and save changes

FINALLY a verizon product shows less than optimal upload speed.

I am looking for any help I can get, as I loathe my local cable provider and Fios was initially an EXCELLENT service, but this recent drop in upload performance is causing me headaches that I don't want to deal with.

Re: Consistently low real-world upload speeds (twitch stream, speed tests, etc)
Nods
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also I'm not sure if this is relevant but the first time I was able to get a tech to come out, the phone call preceeding the visit a network technician asked me to run some test at a broadband site and asked me to tell him what my RWIN was. He said it should be six digits, and it was actually five. For whatever reason this prompted him to send a tech to my home which unfortunately, he had no idea what RWIN even was, and after seeing my official speed test result simply left.

(sorry if this information doesn't help)

Here is a link to recent speedtest.net results:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2831288786

thesweetscience
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Nods wrote:

*Link set to Half Duplex mode*

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 16.07 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and 
There were 123 packets retransmitted, 2270 duplicate acks received, and 2367 SACK blocks received
This connection is receiver limited 2.67% of the time.
*This connection is sender limited 89.31% of the time.*
This connection is network limited 8.02% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
*RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON*
Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Client IP address not found. For IE users, modify the Java parameters
click Tools - Internet Options - Security - Custom Level, scroll down to
Microsoft VM - Java permissions and click Custom, click Java Custom Settings
Edit Permissions - Access to all Network Addresses, click Eanble and save changes

It's unfortunate to hear that Verizon isn't doing their part in the matter. Taking into account all of the steps you've taken, and the results of the tests here, it's clear the problem is beyond the CPE and somewhere between your home and the ISP, which is their service area. Why your link is set to half-duplex is beyond me, unless this is the way Verizon always operates. This should -- almost undoubtedly -- be set to full duplex on their end. You connection limitation of 89.31% is another indication that your receive window (RWIN) is off. In theory, you are receiver, ISP is sender. Buffers are put in place to wait for acknowledgements to limit transmission speeds. This high percentage suggests that the RWIN was reached, and the parties are waiting for acknowledgments before continuing. If your RWIN window is anywhere at or below 65k, it should be much, much higher. The RFC 1323 (for TCP scaling) is set to on, but if your RWIN window is only 5 digits, this implies that the scaling isn't working properly. Give them a call and let them know that they need to service you immediately, and that you have proof of their faults. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Nods wrote:

*Link set to Half Duplex mode*

Did you force the packet size.  Its normally 1452 (mtu 1492) for Verizon.  Ideally should also be duplex, but that may not always be possible.

Something is causing the abnormal number of resends, sacks, etc reported.  A bad packet size can be the cause or at least agravate this.

0 Likes
Nods
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't change anything I just ran the verizon connection test, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can show to the verizon techs? The problem is worse now than it ever was...

This is what I'm getting now from speedtest

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2869742080

Meanwhile the "official" verizon test shows 80Mb down and 5Mb up until the very end it pops up to 15

0 Likes
bqecze

I am having almost identical issues. Diagnostic test shows:

There were 85 packets retransmitted, 1189 duplicate acks received, and 1248 SACK blocks received
This connection is receiver limited 3.13% of the time.
 Increasing the the client's receive buffer (255.0 KB) will improve performance
This connection is sender limited 84.44% of the time.
This connection is network limited 12.42% of the time.

Speeds vary between 25mbps down to .01 Tech coming out today, they decided not to come out the first time they said they would and never called.

Nonetheless, my issue is that speeds (all wired) vary greatly all day. At night they almost fall off completely. I have been through all of the troubleshooting steps with no luck. I am really hoping thta the guy who comes here today can do something about this as this type of intermittent service makes having this completely useless.

My question though is what the "connection sender is limited" represents. Is tht the RWIN size?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

This thread is a little older but your results show that your pc isn't fully optimized

You can run the verizon optimizer or a different one. I like the one at speed guide.net

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Although I will say that doesn't account for the rest of your network having the same or similar problems, but in general you should run that on all the devices you can and optimize before the tech gets out there.  You don't want them ignoring the real problem in favor of blaming your machines. That value you mentioned should be talking about the RWIN yes

0 Likes