Crazy Speed differance
tae111
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Verizon DSL modem with WIFI. My main computer is wired direct. The other day I was on the computer when internet started being very slow. I did a speed test and it showed 650 kbps. As it turns out my son was home and he was viewing a video on his smart phone via WIFI. As soon as he stopped my wired speed went to 2700 kbps. I thought that was strange so we did a test. I had him use his smart phone to access youtube while I was doing the speed test and it did cut the speed of the wired computer drastically. We repeated the test a few more times with the same result. It never used to do this before. 

0 Likes
Re: Crazy Speed differance
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is he watching a high definition video? I can say for sure that something like that definitely happened in the past, unless your DSL was running faster. You're sharing what is basically a total of 3Mbps across the two or more devices you have, and bandwidth is distributed not always in a fair fashion, but based on demand.

0 Likes
tae111
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is a new DSL modem. With the old modem I never noticed any wireless device having precedent over my wired computer. Yesterday I was watching a Amazon program on my Samsung TV (wired). My son came home and logged on to Youtube with his smart phone and the Amazon program just stopped.

0 Likes
tae111
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also for years my daughter had a Apple laptop that was wireless. That never bothered any of the wired connections regardless of what she was doing on it.

0 Likes
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
If 3mbps is the highest speed offered at your location you will continue to have this issue. One option is to have your son set the video quality on YouTube to 360p or lower. When the video starts on YouTube locate the quality icon in the upper right hand corner and select the right video ratio that allows you both to stream at the same time. It is possible to stream on both devices if the line is stable. When you run a speed test are the pings below 100ms?

When your using the You Tube app, video quality is usually automatically selected by your connection speed. If your
Connections is too slow it will restart at a lower resolution.

0 Likes