Cutting the Cord proper setup using my own router and existing Coax wiring
Not applicable

I have ordered 1gb internet service and am getting rid of my tv service, boxes, and .  I am keeping my phone service.  I am getting very confused about how to use my existing cable wires and my own router, TP-Link AC5400, to use for streaming IPTV through an android box, Formuler Z28.  Instead of running Cat6 from the ONT outside, can I use the coax to plug into a MoCa adapter and then just plug into my router using a ethernet cable? That should give me Internet to use Wifi and to any devices I then connect hard-wired to my router.

As for the TVs, I am think I can use a MoCa adapter from the existing coax cables that run from the outside to plug my Android boxes into and then connnect to my set boxes with HDMI. The splitter being used from the main outside bx is a Verzion 4-way MoCa 2.0  PDI-4WWb-2.0 5-1675MHZ 6kv with 7.5dB outputs.

I would much rather use existing Coax then having to run Cat6 wiring unless there is a great difference in performance or if using existing Coax cannot be done.

And the cord cutting is scheduled for 1/22 so I could really use your help pretty quickly.

Does this make any sense?

0 Likes
Re: Cutting the Cord proper setup using my own router and existing Coax wiring
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You cannot directly use the coax port on the ONT for Internet service higher than 100Mbps. There are workarounds using a coax cable and MoCA adapters, the cost is over $100 plus you need to think an ingenious way of powering the MoCA adapter outside. I would rather run an Ethernet wire if at all possible.

For internal distribution, it depends on your current gears and budgets.

If you have a BHR 4 (G1100) router, it can serve as a MoCA bridge capped at 500Mbps. If you have a BHR 5 (G3100), it can serve as a MoCA bridge capped at 2500Mbps. For the LAN side distribution, MoCA 2.5 is capable of multigigabit throughput and Actiontec ECB7250 has 2.5Gbps 802.3bz Ethernet port. ECB7250 costs $110 each. If you think 1 Gbps is fine for internal network distribution, then Verizon/Actiontec ECB5240M can suit your purpose. It costs $55 each.

Not applicable

You can tell I am not very savvy at this and I still digesting your reply,

I understand now that I must run the Cat6 wire from the ONT. Once its run I know I will have to deal with Verizon to get it switched on as I have read on may other posts. What is the best method of accomplishing that with the least amount of hassle?

I  have the Fios-G1100 but was looking to avoid paying the rental fee which is why I bought the TP-Link AC5400.  I upgraded to 1gb since Verizon is giving a $100 gift card and plan to drop back to 500g as I think that will be plenty of speed for my needs.

It sounds like it may be a better option to just run Cat6 throughout the house and use the TP-Link AC5400 since it has 8 lan outputs and can deliver 1gb per port, which is plenty for my home network needs. Will that work if I am keeping the Digital Voice service? I am hoping that this doesn't become overwhelming as I have no experince running network wiring and my usual "expert" is not available.

If I do go the MoCa route, would I then need to buy a MoCa compatible router and MoCa adapters at each TV location (I will have 4) to connect my adroid boxes? For WiFi, I would need something that would be pretty strong as the coverage in my house is pretty weak.  

Thank you so much for your help. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

How much speed do you need at the Android boxes? To my knowledge, some 4K "Smart" TVs only have 10/100 NICs. If you are only streaming contents that require 10-12Mbps speed, I won't recommend 1000Mbps MoCA adapters. It sounds like $20 per piece WCB3000N is fine for your situation.

How many locations do you want WiFi? WCB3000N has WiFi 4, 802.11n, can pull a decent 175Mbps+. If you need 300Mbps+ WiFi 5, I recommend you to buy used G1100 routers. Please give us more details such as how many locations you want WiFi access points and how many locations you are only connecting the MoCA adapters to Android TV boxes.

Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.  I do not know the speed requirement but I am guessing that you are probaly correct that the speed is not needed to be higher that 20?  As for the rest, I am only connecting 4 andorid boxes where the current TVs are with coax.

For WiFi, I  have a Deco5 mesh network with one that plugs into the G1100 and two wireless satellites that are working ok.  The ideal situation would be 3 WiFi access points but how would that work? Would I be able to use my Deco 5s wired to the MoCa adapters? Or are you suggesting buying G1100 for all the current set box locations? Should I return the Tp-Link AC5400 router or will it be used at all in your suggested solution?

0 Likes
Bob27nli1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good morning.  I can no longer access my original Verizon Community account so I cannot see the private messages you posted yesterday. I had to create a new account to access and post on this thread.

I am so sorry for the inconvenience!

Please post here the information you sent last night.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

First, you may be able to access your first account by using the "forgot your info" link on the community login page.

As to your issue, this isn't too difficult.  If you can run Ethernet everywhere, I recommend it.  It avoids mucking around with MoCA adapters and reduces complexity.  CAT5e is fine, no need to spend extra for CAT6 unless you think you'll be going above 1Gbps Ethernet in the future.

If you can't run Ethernet, your setup could look something like this:

ONT to Router connection (the same for a Verizon or non-Verizon router):

ONT WAN Ethernet Port -> Ethernet cable -> Router WAN Port

MoCA LAN Setup with a Verizon router:

Router coax port -> coax cable network -> MoCA adapater -> Ethernet cable -> Ethernet device

If you need Ethernet ports in additional locations that only have coax, install additional MoCA adapters.

MoCA LAN Setup with a non-Verizon router:

Router LAN port -> Ethernet cable -> MoCA adapter -> coax network -> MoCA adapter -> Ethernet cable -> Ethernet device

Again, you can add additional MoCA adapters if more Ethernet ports are needed additional locations.

Other Thoughts

The Ethernet devices attached to the MoCA adapters can be anything; a streaming TV device, a mesh network node, computer, e.t.c.  Depending on how many devices you want to connect and their locations, you could end up with a lot of MoCA adapters.  You'll have to weight the complexity and expense of creating a MoCA LAN vs. pulling Ethernet.

Also, none of this effects digital voice.  It's provided by a POTs port on the ONT.  Coax and Ethernet are not involved.

Bob27nli1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sounds to me that Ethernet wiring would be a better solution. 

Do you have a referral of someone who is knowledgeable and reasonably price and will allow me to keep expenses down by ordering the equipment needed?

Do yiy have suggestions for the router, switches, etc?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, Ethernet is always better than MoCA for the LAN.  Coax has an advantage as most homes are already wired with it and pulling Ethernet may not be possible or is too expensive.

I'm not sure what kind of recommendations you want.  If you're looking for someone to figure this out for you and do all the work, you need to look for local help.  Home theater installers or small business networking companies do this kind of work; everything from designing the network, to buying devices, to installing everything.  But they are unlikely to be low cost.  Do you have any friends who are computer/networking literate who can guide you?

You already have a decent router and a mesh network.  I'm not sure why you're asking for more suggestions.  If you need switches, there are tons of inexpensive un-manged ones for sale at your favorite online store.  It's really hard to pick a bad one; read reviews and you'll be fine.

Bob27nli1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply

I need someone to run the wires.

0 Likes