DSL Attainable speed
MTheart
I have been paying for the "Enhanced DSL" for a few years now and have been locked at 3Mbps because "We do not offer the higher speeds in your area"... Which would be fine except for the fact that every time I check my modem status it claims I have an attainable speed of 21224 / 1323 Kbps. Shouldn't I be able to EASILY get the full 15Mbps?! I have seen a few other posts on here advising people to basically call and pest the person on the other end until they give in - - - is this the only way to get what what I am paying for?! My service has been very reliable and I have no other complaints besides being locked into the slowest level of what I am paying for.
0 Likes
Re: DSL Attainable speed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MTheart wrote:
I have been paying for the "Enhanced DSL" for a few years now and have been locked at 3Mbps because "We do not offer the higher speeds in your area"... Which would be fine except for the fact that every time I check my modem status it claims I have an attainable speed of 21224 / 1323 Kbps. Shouldn't I be able to EASILY get the full 15Mbps?! I have seen a few other posts on here advising people to basically call and pest the person on the other end until they give in - - - is this the only way to get what what I am paying for?! My service has been very reliable and I have no other complaints besides being locked into the slowest level of what I am paying for.

Pretty much pestering is the way to do it. Verizon doesn't often update the databases for DSL even if a higher speed is capable. I had to do that to get 5Mbps out of my circuit.

There is something to consider in a handful of cases. If you are coming out of a remote terminal or a remote DSLAM, Verizon may have only budgeted the backhaul to the central office for 3Mbps circuits. This holds true in many rural areas where Verizon has installed new ADSL2+ gear and run Fiber. Some older RTs also can't handle more than 3Mbps - for example if you're coming out of a Catena Networks CNX-5. Those max at 3Mbps as they only have 45Mbps (T3) feeding them. 15Mbps would destroy that in no time.

Chances are better for getting 15Mbps if people nearby you can get speeds higher than 3Mbps, and if you're served directly from the CO.

0 Likes