DSL High Speed Question
CerebralAssasin

I have verizon DSL for my laptop upstairs and my desktop downstairs. Both of them have the lowest high speed internet package available (to svae some money) but my question is what would cause the upstairs DSL to run slower then the one downstairs even though they are supposed to be the same speed. Also the modem upstairs is newer then the one downstairs. Help!

0 Likes
Re: DSL High Speed Question
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are both of these computers on separate, individual connections which are paid for separately or do you only pay for a single connection, but use two modems? If two separate lines, I suspect crosstalk or a setup of the network on Verizon's end causing some descrepancy between the two lines.

CerebralAssasin

They are on seperate lines and are paid for seperately. They each have their own # number. I TRIED to talk to 3 different verizon people under Live chat before and none of their suggestions worked.

0 Likes
ainekrg

for the laptop upstairs, are you using wireless conection?

0 Likes
CerebralAssasin

i am not really computer savvy. What would classify as wireless? I know it has a modem with a ethernet cable.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Second question. Are you able to get the Transceiver Statistics from both modems? If you don't know how to do this you should be able to find out online, or we can help you get this information if you can supply to us the model numbers of the modems.

Since you do have two lines, if one of the modems is using the secondary wire pair in the telephone cables for your home it's likely if it's lower quality wiring (older Quad cabling) that crosstalk could be an issue. It's also possible though, that the second line is simply provisioned lower which is an easy fix. Some harder fixes will be mentioned if spotted.

0 Likes