DSL is (still) too slow
dclineCSTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the 768kbps DSL plan.  According to both my modem (gateway 192.168.1.1) and Verizon's online speed test, I am getting HALF that speed.  Why?

Before you ask, here are the gateway stats, copied from the status page: Speed (Down/Up):  384 Kbits/sec by 160 Kbits/sec

the modem/router is a Westell 327W. (I know, it's an older model but when the speed is up it seems to work fine.)

Also, I should say that we had much slower speed this week (like 30 kbps dor downloads) but that improved today after an hourlong chat with your tech support, though I'm not exactly sure why.

We often (as in almost always) get slowdowns in the evenings that are very annoying.  Powering down and restarting the modem only occasionally helps.

Re: DSL is (still) too slow
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your sync rate isn't where it should be which points to a physical issue with the copper. Depending on which firmware your 327w is running, do the following:

Go to System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors and choose Transceiver Statistics.

OR

Go to Troubleshooting, DSL, and then DSL/Transceiver Statistics.

Provide the statistics you see on that page. If you need a login, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

0 Likes
dclineCSTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  Here are the stats.

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision:     7.2.3.0      
Vendor ID Code:     4      
Line Mode:     G.DMT Mode      
Data Path:     Interleaved      

Transceiver Information     Downstream Path     Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)     384     160
Margin (dB)     7.5     28.0
Line Attenuation (dB)     60.0     31.5
Transmit Power (dBm)     13.2     11.3

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your margin is low on the downstream, which is basically indicating that there isn't a heck of a lot of room to get more speed. You're probably having some line troubles, since your upstream margin is pretty high which is a good thing. Attenuation is high but that can also be affected by line quality besides distance.

If you have access to your NID, plug your modem into the test jack and see if you can obtain better statistics there. If they improve a large amount but the speed does not increase, we'll have to see what can be done inside of your home to improve the quality, and from there it should be a matter of waiting a few days for the speed to increase. If you don't have access to a NID, it would be a good idea to get Verizon out since you obviously are not meeting the correct speed range for your package. It certainly should not fly with support. If it does, then it makes absolutely no sense.

If you don't know what a NID is, see this FAQ: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

0 Likes
dclineCSTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I know the NID.  I've had to access it before - we often have line problems after a thunderstorm.  In fact, Verizon was out just 2 weeks ago for that very reason.  The buzz on the phone line was fixed then and we could get internet again, but I wasn't checking speed then.

About the speed tests: the online broadband test has been all over the place today, 240, 67, 27 kbps, while the modem gateway has been consistent at 384.  The online test usually is a bit slower but not by that much.

I'll get back with you after I take the modem outside to the NID.  I suppose I'll need an extension cord too ...

dclineCSTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your help and comments!

Here's the result from connecting directly to the NID last night.

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)     864     160
Margin (dB)                     12.0     30.0
Line Attenuation (dB)     55.5     31.5
Transmit Power (dBm)     5.2     11.5

Obviously better than before and even better than the 768 kbps we're supposed to get.

I tried various locations around the house.  The results were similar to what I first showed you above.  They varied a little, both by location and by time of day.  The best result was this afternoon, at a location equally distant from the NID as our usual spot.  The location closest to the NID was the second best, just slightly lower margin and higher attentuation.

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)     512     160
Margin (dB)         7.0     28.0
Line Attenuation (dB)     59.5     31.5
Transmit Power (dBm)     14.2     11.5

I'm not sure what all this means.  It's hard to see how 30-50 feet extra line can make difference, so presumably it must have something to do with a connector.

MLC300
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had this trouble too.  One day I could only get 32 to 64 Kbps.  I tried shutting off the computer and modem, and rebooting several times to no avail.  Then I unplugged the cable from the jack at the wall and cleaned out the dust around the jack with a vacuum cleaner.  I can get up to 480kbps now.  Either removing the dust or simply reinserting the cable did it.   I conclude it was just a bad connection. 

0 Likes
dclineCSTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Cleaning out the jacks helped only marginally.  The best I can get is 480 or 512 kbps, depending on the location.

Did you have any more comments, Smith6612?

Thanks.

MLC300
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm up to 1184 kbps now.  I'm on the 768kbps to 1Mbps plan which means my access is currently doing better than it's supposed to.  I believe Verizon fixed some things at their end today.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only thing I can suggest is checking the condition of each jack in your home, besides cleaning them. If you remove the jack from the wall (or remove the faceplate), inspect the wiring to make sure nothing is at risk of shorting or bridging the connection to another wire, and make sure corrosion is not found at any of the connections behind the jack. Check to make sure the connections are tight. Also, just double check to make sure you do not have any DSL filters attached backwards or any unfiltered devices. Doing that should eliminate many of the problems. If there is still an issue inside, sometimes what may be needed is a dedicated line going from the NID to the DSL modem. They sell xDSL/POTS Splitters which can be mounted outdoors, and allow the filtering of the DSL from the rest of the home while providing DSL service to a specific jack. If you use one of those added in with at least a CAT3 cable terminated to a jack, it might also improve the DSL service enough to get 1Mbps service (at the NID despite the low margin on the downstream, you would fly with 1Mbps/384kbps provided the downstream power is boosted in the process).

Most of the time running a length of CAT3 cabling connected to a DSL Splitter out at the NID will solve many issues being caused by inside wiring. There are times where it won't, which will usually require a tech or a meter to locate the problem indoors (more often than not, an untwisted cable; eg quad cabling is near a noisy appliance).

0 Likes