DSL service intermittently very slow - particularly evenings
Sycthestone
A little more than a year ago Verizon installed a phone / dsl line for high speed internet. I've noted the internet content slows considerably in the evenings, even to the point where Netflix buffer on my DVD player cannot load fast enough. And I don't even try Amazon because my Sony evidently does not have much of a buffer and so is stopping to reload frequently. Recently it has become worse. I have called customer no service several times. I am an engineer by education and thus am not incompetent around modems and routers. I have reset the modem frequently, sometimes with a slight improvement and other times with no improvement. My call this morning went to the Philippines where I was told I would need to call back when I had my modem info. They would not give me any further contact information for the local Chesapeake office of Verizon. Any advice or info on who to contact to get this corrected?
0 Likes
Re: DSL service intermittently very slow - particularly evenings
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's likely night time congestion that you're seeing. I can get someone to take care of this for you if you can confirm this isn't a physical issue with the line. If you could, please post up the Transceiver Statistics from your modem for us to see. If you need help with getting that information please let us know what modem and/or router or gateway you currently have in use.

0 Likes
Bernhard1

We are suffering from slow internet speed similar to other people in this blog especially in the evenings and over weekends.I'm using a Westel Model 2200 modem connected to an Apple Airport Time machine and 2nd generation Apple TV (the one that contains a harddisc) . Dowloading a HD video on weekends from the Apple store takes 12 - 24 , while it used to take a couple of hours. Even standard iTunes videos take >6-10 hours  before they start playing and then they stall half way into the movie. This happens even if we take all our macs, phones and PCs offline. If one of us watches a youtube video then the entire family is blocked off from browsing the internet.

Can anyone suggest a receipe to improve this situation?
Thanks,

Bernhard

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Bernhard wrote:

We are suffering from slow internet speed similar to other people in this blog especially in the evenings and over weekends.I'm using a Westel Model 2200 modem connected to an Apple Airport Time machine and 2nd generation Apple TV (the one that contains a harddisc) . Dowloading a HD video on weekends from the Apple store takes 12 - 24 , while it used to take a couple of hours. Even standard iTunes videos take >6-10 hours  before they start playing and then they stall half way into the movie. This happens even if we take all our macs, phones and PCs offline. If one of us watches a youtube video then the entire family is blocked off from browsing the internet.

Can anyone suggest a receipe to improve this situation?
Thanks,

Bernhard

#1 Please start a new thread.

#2 In that new thread, please provide the answers to these questions:

a) While your Apple Airport most likely has a four port switch: Do you have a switch that is not part of a router ?

b) Do you know how to setup a Static IP on your computer ?

c) Is the WAN (or Internet OR To Modem) port of the Apple Airport connected to the Westell modem ?

d)4 If yes to my last question: Did you follow http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600 ?

0 Likes